Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: The Last Beekeeper

I did, but I was a bit confused in your last remark as you married two thoughts into one (off label use (which I made a comment about early in the thread) and science being the "final", "sound choice", i.e. Bud's comment). Regarding the off label use, a.k.a. blue shop towels, I understand the viewpoint Sheri made. There is legitimacy in what she says. However, you would be naive to think everyone who chooses to mix their own chemicals and method of application "follow very stringent methods." You and Sheri might, but there are many who don't. If you want to follow science, then where is the scientific formula for applying chemicals via shop towels?

And yes, you basically are screwed either way.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    And yes, you basically are screwed either way.

Yeah, everytime the bus moves up I get that.

But on a more timely note, I USE in a french fry bag filled with thymol/ sugar/veg oil/ food product oils/essential oils not in that order.

The way I veiw it, the air & water is more toxic than anything I put in the hive, plus, I don't have time to wait for "the goverments" O.K., there bought sold like cattle anyway to the highest bidder.

Hold on folks, I got to stirr this new pot of brew.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Then it sounds like you stay away from Coumaphos and Fluvalinate?
    Regards, Barry

you stay away from Coumaphos and Fluvalinate?
    Yes, I try to not upset the apple cart ie, contaminate combs, queens equipment ect..

There is plenty of info out there for keepers to use non-abrasive treatments without compromising the hive's integrity.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

you would be naive to think everyone who chooses to mix their own chemicals and method of application "follow very stringent methods."
    I think it is naive to assume everyone who buys the strips or pads or what have you follow stringent directions either. I know some do not from experience with many hobby customers. They have the original packaging and I often go over the directions with them when they purchase. In spite of this I hear feedback from some on how they applied the treatment. What part of "do not apply when supers are on " don't they understand? What part of "don't apply when the temp is above or below XX degrees" don't they understand? What part of "apply 2 strips per colony" don't they understand?
    where is the scientific formula for applying chemicals via shop towels?
    As for the 'scientific formula' of applying to shop towels, that would be to apply the same number of ccs in the same manner as the proprietary product, would it not? The distributors philosophy is "People are stupid so just give them a <shop towel> with a fancy name, hopefully they will have no idea what is on it".
    Some of the problem is thinking that we as a society are so stupid we constantly need our hands held. Some of the problem is wanting to sell salt for $20 a pound.
    Sheri

The fault may not lie with the pure "science", but rather the "scientists" that stray from fact for financial gain by misrepresenting, or selectively representing, those facts to present a biased interpretation.

Roland

80% though... I think she just starved them.

Roland, it isn't scientists it's governments and pharmaceuticals and big lobbying money. Yes, they are more interested in a proprietary product than helping you out. I would like to hear more on treating with less chemicals... Time to dig through the archives.

Skinner, with all due respect to you, I beg to differ. I went to hear the leading Entomologist of a state south of me speak about why the bees are dying. After 1 1/4 hours , she concluded that she did not know. I had brought a paper from a peer review journal with me, with numerous answers, and offered to give it to her. She was not interested. It SEEMED to me that she was more interested in grant money than solving the problem. A few months ago, this individual published in a different peer review journal, and really did not solve anything, BUT GOT PAID!!! As soon as they find the cure for CCD, the money stops so.....
    ........do you think they want to find a cure?

In all fairness, I hope not all of the Gov't workers are like this, in fact I know the State of Nebraska is blessed with man that has dirt on his hands, and a civil servant.

Roland

Roland, what did you disagree with? Sounds like you're agreeing with me. As for the less chemicals bit, I used grease patties instead of miticides. I've got a passle of VSH queens I plan to breed with too.

So if you're disagreeing with me that all the powers to be are in it for money not saving bees, you're actually agreeing!!

If you think miteaway and apistan are God's gift to beekeeping, then thats OK, good for you, we might disagree, but even I'd use it if the drop counds were nuts high.

I do treat for nosema, even though there is proof feeding alone can usually prevent it.

As to the starving them bit, if she treated and they still died out heavy, I would assume it to be feeding issues. Because if she HAD fed, then nosema OR starving wouldn't be a problem. And the shop towels suggests mites were treated for.

So... what did you disagree with me on?

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner Apiaries View Post
    Because if she HAD fed, then nosema... wouldn't be a problem.
    That really depends on what they're fed doesn't it?

Skinner - maybe I am splitting hairs. I have no problem with pure science, and therefore a "Pure Scientist" , who tells the truth, and nothing but the truth.
    Unfortunately, most of the "scientist" have strayed from the truth, and tend to let their pocket book write the conclusions. We both agree that it is the source of the money(gov't and pharma) that is the root of evil. Where we disagree is if the scientist them selves are to blame. I say yes. They have gone to the "dark side". I hope this behavior is NOT how they where taught in school.

As far as what I put in my own hives, If you can find it in the FOOD isle of the grocery store, it is fair game; if not, emergency use only.

I hope this cleared things up. If I misrepresented you, please correct me.

Roland

lol... we agree on... pretty much everything then. lol.

How can I get to see this movie?

I have looked everywhere and can not find it.

Truth HA,welcome to the bee business.

In regards to the intial post in this thread - Any time as a businessman (or woman) you place all (or even most) of your chips on one color you are eventually going to loose. Any business which is successful will continually stay on the cutting edge of what's been, what's here and what's to come. The one constant in business is it is constantly changing. Market forces, commodities, weather, trends, research, economy, there are many, many factors to consider.

Secondly maybe all the gold in California almonds is just like all the other gold in California, profits to a few and bust to most others.

It's not just poor beekeeping it's poor business that is negatively affecting those who go down in flames betting on that one color hoping for the big money.

I personally did not plan on lossing 69% of all live hives this year 2009, niether did anyone on this program the last beekeeper.

And if you were up on the realities of the systemic pesticides and also new reasearch regarding fungicides ( Research presented at both AHAP & ABF & CSBA meeting) you would not even be commenting on this.
    Last edited by JohnK and Sheri; 01-18-2010 at 03:00 PM. Reason: personal attack
    Larry Pender,Jubilee HoneyBee Company,Camarillo, CA

Were can I see the movie?????

The Last Beekeeper DVD.
    You may have seen the new documentary The Last Beekeeper that was recently shown on the Planet Green channel. It follows three struggling beekeepers as they journey from their home states to California almonds. Current problems with bees are well covered in graphic detail and the DVD serves as an antidote to the claims of some growers that beekeepers have it easy. We plan to get some DVDs to give to growers. For ordering information, contact Mona Card at World of Wonder, (323)603-6300, ext. 421.

Got this from joe traynors news letter- RDY-B

I agree, that single faceted businesses are subject to being victims of any number of circumstances that can affect one line of business but not another. For instance, honey farming is gambling on weather. Pollination is gambling on supply. Queen rearing is subject to all the things that can affect any of the above, and weather. However, I think the bee breeder, is guaranteed a market, where as the honey is more commodity related, honey being far more specialized than say HFCS or Sucrose. (I'm saying I understand commodity market affects both, but honey far more strongly.) And pollination is subject to all the problems of bees, plus the supply and demand price of bees. Depending on almonds, CAN be a gamble, but it pays off pretty big too. So, conclusively, beekeeping as a business is gambling. More facets, less chance of utter failure, as one has contingency.
    Last edited by JohnK and Sheri; 01-18-2010 at 05:45 PM. Reason: discussing moderation

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast