Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Pollination prices

365K views 353 replies 119 participants last post by  soarwitheagles 
#1 ·
I wonder if we can get a thread going for the posting of the going or standard pollination rates for various crops.

#66 ·
We are a small co-op and our prices have a floor and a ceiling.
Depending on the growers' yeild and price, the price could range from 140. to 170.
Growers receive Patronage dividends the higher the prices are in relation to their yeild/market price. Their net cost (spot price) is based on several factors yeild, price per pound, 3 year average. We are quoting a spot price of 150. If they have a good year the price may increase up to 15% of their gross per acre.

#68 ·
The quick answer is yes.
The long answer is:
For this coming year the maximum price will not exceed $170.00 usd, the lowest price will not go below $140.00.
We all agreed, after much debates, to set the "spot price" of the hive rental at $150.00 for this coming season.
This was based on several factors including last years yield and what we anticipate this year (which is looking very good), the cost of managing the bees (including colony losses). As an example; if a grower ends the year with a gross per acre of $5,600 and we had set the spot price at the $150.00 that grower would end up paying $170.00 per hive (the ceiling). On the other hand if the grower has a bad year and receives $3,800 that grower would receive a "rebate" of $10.00 per hive. The formula for determing the floor and the ceiling and any dividends are propriety.
We also set up a patronage dividend account and rebate profits carried over from previous years. The effect of this is that if the expense of the hives do not increase in relation to the revenue i.e. we do not incurr heavy winter bee losses, the growers as well as the beekeepers share in this profit.
Hope that helps.....or is it clear as mud?

#76 ·
With the possibility of the mexican border being opened up for honeybees to be brought to the almonds I wouldn't be getting too greedy. $150.00 ea contract is better than trying to find a place to take them where you can at least break even and have good bees to split for the summer honey season.

Not to mention that it won't be just the almond contracts but all the other pollination and honey production being done by migratory mexican beekeepers that will legally be taking our job's/income/life styles.

#77 ·
Does anyone get payed for buckwheat pollination ? How much ? Or should I just be happy with all the buckwheat honey I get and sell for a premium around here.
Also, seems there is more and more canola going in around here. Is there any market for canola pollination.
The only pollination I do now is some apples $55 colony, and I only have to move the bees a 20 minute drive.

#78 · (Edited by Moderator)
OH BOY, here we go again. Honeys not even stacked in the warehouse and beekeepers got the almond dollar signs in their eyes. The price will be what the price will be when all the bees that are going are there. If there is a shortage you will get paid good. If there is an excess of bees the price will soften and your junk will be lined with a big red marker and you will not get paid. IT IS WHAT IT IS WHEN IT IS. you can hold out till the very last second and make an extra 15/hive or end up on the side of I-5 with your bees holding a sign that reads " Bees for rent.....cheap"

#80 ·
Hey Keith,
my posts are directly related to watching my daughter which is usually waiting for my wife to get home after I have been moving bees, drinking beer, cleaning extracting room, running wax, making bio-diesel (beer cures metholal poisoning) ect ect. I tend to ramble. sorry
http://www.ediblecommunities.com/frontrange/2010/08/grampas-honey/

P.S. Do you still believe this Valley is pure poison?

#84 · (Edited by Moderator)
OH BOY, here we go again. Honeys not even stacked in the warehouse and beekeepers got the almond dollar signs in their eyes. The price will be what the price will be when all the bees that are going are there. If there is a shortage you will get paid good. If there is an excess of bees the price will soften and your junk will be lined with a big red marker and you will not get paid. IT IS WHAT IT IS WHEN IT IS. you can hold out till the very last second and make an extra 15/hive or end up on the side of I-5 with your bees holding a sign that reads " Bees for rent.....cheap"
Smart beekeepers, don't go to CA unless/until they have written contracts. The price is what is written in the contract, and is not subject to change after the contract is written.

#89 ·
I also, was watching this thread very closely and did a lot of searches on google for “almond pollination” with no results. I thought, this year there would be more information in the fall to prevent the last year's problems. Every beekeeper or broker I spoke to is waiting for the after New Year. There were many meetings, conferences in the last month where they talked about almond too, but no one gives a word out. The price will be higher this year, but it is not clear in what range.
Were the Australian packages banned or it is still at the recommendation stage?

I don't know, if there is an more interesting topic at this time of the year other than almond pollination pirces.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.