Quote Originally Posted by MNbees View Post
    distinction?
    "175/155" ??????

Default Re: Pollination prices

155 to the beekeeper and 20 bucks to the broker = 175

Quote Originally Posted by MNbees View Post
    155 to the beekeeper and 20 bucks to the broker = 175
    Got it. What is the broker doing for the grower and yourself for their 12% of the gross?

the broker is trusted by the grower to provide good colonies and then places them.

the broker loads and unloads the bees as well as handling the relationships with the growers.

There is also this article that has a link to a free online course for hive strength evaluation. it was kinda fun to fool around with.http://westernfarmpress.com/tree-nut...-course-online

loggermike, It looks like they removed all of the course but the introduction.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Sorry,I should have checked it before posting the link. They must have taken it down since I last logged in some months back.I emailed them to ask why.

Daniel, I received this direct link to the content from them:
    http://stream.ucanr.org/bee_modules/...gth/index.html

Thank you, that works.

Has anyone heard what the price will be for blueberries in Eastern NC?

seeing lots of hives for rent on the cali craigs list. some are only asking for 120 per 8 frames. whats up? long on bees this year? still to early to tell?

Not certain but I was hearing that yards where filling up and most had all they can take. Growers reduced the number of hives they want to limit nut set in anticipation of a drought. I think it is more of a demand side issue than a supply is to abundant. short supply works just fine when the demand is cut in half.

Waiting to see if a week of rain gets any growers to scramble for more hives. not likely though they are in a drought state of mind and seem to have resigned themselves to the idea they will take the loss this year. sad because i do not forecast the drought to remain. I was thinking we woudl be getting rain right now back in December. Wish I was getting an inkling of when it will end. Nothing my gut has settled on for now. All I know is a whole lot of the moisture comes in February often. My gut still says it will not make up for what we didn't get the rest of this winter. a completely dry January is hard to come back from. These storms so far are not strong enough. They need to get impressive if they are going to get the job done. they are barely gettign attention.

I heard from some unamed sub guy that the price drop might be correlated to the West side (push them old tress over) blues.

Personally, I would not trust the prices found on craigslist regardless of the type of the year. A bee broker I spoke to recently told me that where there was more hives still on the market, but the quality of hives that $120 was buying was unacceptable (8/frames a PALLET kind of quality). There are lot of dinks out there. I am starting to hear from people who thought there numbers were better just a few weeks ago then they are now. There still seems to be time for this to all shake out.

Our price is stable at $180, plus we have covered a few other beekeeper's contracts who came up short for the same price. Not one grower has given me any lip about the price. Only word in relation to the price was, "well, as long as we are getting paid then you guys will too."

Many of these guys, seem to reason as long as some orchards are not getting the water needed their price is likely to stay high or go up.

As of today i'm still seeing truck loads of hives heading south. On another note today was also the first load of boxes I have seen heading back north, probably empty.

Just wanted to add that we got a record high of 200 per hive on almonds this year on one contract. That is the highest we have ever seen for ourselves, don't know about any one else.

Some of my buddies averaged $242, $210.50, and $193.25 respectively. I heard, but have not confirmed, as high as $250. Lots of complaints about colonies coming in under estimates.

It seems that using a truck equipped with air ride bags would help, and stick to good roads. One guy from mid-west said he lost a good number during transport, and said that he was sure the damage came on a rough section of road. It looked like he could have secured the boxes better, too, but that loosening may have occurred over the rough place, too.

Anyone want to share blueberry pollination pricing in the USA? I guess Canada too.

Blueberry pollination contracts in the Fraser Valley ranged from a low of about $85 to a high of about $130, with most of us in the $110 range.
    Raspberries are about $50-65, and cranberries between $120-$140.
    Tree fruits in the Okanagan were in the $65-75 range, with some beekeepers doing 2-3 sets (they had shorter pollination periods than those of us in blueberries and raspberries.)
    In our case we did two sets; blueberries and then raspberries.
    Jeff Lee /Honey Bee Zen Apiaries
    www.honeybeezen.com

What did blackberrys pay? Ive heard you can make a box of honey on them in a normal year?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast