Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Default Re: Pollination prices

I checked on my 3 hives and they all looked really good. They are putting away lots of nectar in their top boxes and have nice brood patterns in the bottoms. My strongest hive has brood in the top box as well. I'll need to keep an eye on that one for expansion.

what would be the least amount of hives you could contract out to pollinate ? would 50-60 be too little. thinking mainly about the almonds.

If you cant find another beekeeper to piggyback on his load going to almonds, you better think about having a whole semi load to run out there as a minimum. However I have sent as few as 30 to almonds. This was done by piggybacking on another load heading out there. That is something you have to work out locally with a beekeeper.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post
    If you cant find another beekeeper to piggyback on his load going to almonds, you better think about having a whole semi load to run out there as a minimum. However I have sent as few as 30 to almonds. This was done by piggybacking on another load heading out there. That is something you have to work out locally with a beekeeper.
    totally hear ya. but my wife and i were thinking of driving and delivering them ourselves. hang locally while they are there with some friends and head back afterwards.

Set aside Cali traffic that sounds like a fun time. From what I have heard as of 1 Jan 2014 only DEF type diesels are allowed in that liberal state.

Quote Originally Posted by tommysnare View Post
    totally hear ya. but my wife and i were thinking of driving and delivering them ourselves. hang locally while they are there with some friends and head back afterwards.
    Sounds expensive for just 60 hives. I'm a good bit further away but I would need at least a semi load to make it something I would consider, but maybe you are not doing it for profit....
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Local news reported that West Palm Beach beekeeper moved to "golden hills of California" to charge $175 per month renting beehives. It didn't provide many details.
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Zone 10a; Elevation 13 feet

So, we are pretty new to all this pollination and have "piggybacked" in the past few years with a local beekeeper. This year we are hoping to get a contract of our own, how would we go about finding one? Some of you mentioned that you got calls asking for bees...are you advertising somewhere? Would appreciate any info!
    I am talking about almonds...

You can google craigslist > cities, go down and click on California Sacramento and advertise your bees for pollination contracts, also try Chico area.

As of today there are well over 25,000 hives available on Craigslist looking for Almond Pollination contracts.
    California Almond Pollination Services, Inc.
    http://www.almondbeepollination.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shouse View Post
    As of today there are well over 25,000 hives available on Craigslist looking for Almond Pollination contracts.
    A few drops in the bucket. The secret is keeping the population up in January / February. 4 frames of bees gets $60 and is hardly worth it to the farmer, as a colony that size doesn't pollinate very hard. 7 frames of bees that are increasing will bring about $120, and is a much better deal to the almond grower. 8 frames of bees in a hive gets about $140 to $150, 10 to 11 frames should get $160 to $165, a majority of hives with 12 to 14 frames of bees will get $175...all these prices are as of last year.

The great importance of the thing is that they are INCREASING, which is when they go hard after pollen.
    If the farmer knows exactly which day the almond flowers start receiving the pollen, put a pollen trap on the hive 1 to 2 days before, which gets more bees going for pollen, increasing the fruit set.

With so many beekeepers in the area at the same time, you'd think they'd schedule the state Beekeeper's Association Meeting in Sacramento the last week in January so more of us could attend. After the pollination party starts, it just gets too busy. A big beekeepers' camp jamboree during the flow would be another option.

[/QUOTE]kilochrle, "A few drops in the bucket. The secret is keeping the population up in January / February".

Thanks, kilocharle for the BIG SECRET about keeping the bee population up in January and February.
    I can tell, you have amassed years of experience.
    I will keep that in mine.
    How many hives do you have?
    How many did you rent out last year for almond pollination?
    How much did you receive per hive?

Kilo, I believe you missed my point regarding the number of hives listed on Craigslist. My point was that queenbee1 would be competing with her 200-400 hives with a listing of over 25,000 other hives. Her 200-400 are the "drop in the bucket." She needs to get out and knock on doors.

QUOTE=kilocharlie; "If the farmer knows exactly which day the almond flowers start receiving the pollen, put a pollen trap on the hive 1 to 2 days before, which gets more bees going for pollen, increasing the fruit set."

As a former almond grower for over 35 years I never knew the “exact date the almond flowers started receiving the pollen,” maybe you can explain to me how this is done.
    In regards to "placing pollen traps on the hives", isn’t that expensive and labor intensive? Seems the cost of the trap and the time to put traps on say 1,000 plus hives would not justify the return on investment (ROI). If you can rent a hive out at $175.00 per hive, do you charge more to the grower for placing the traps on the hives? If not why bother?

In regards to your suggestion “Having the State Beekeeper’s Association meeting the last week of January so more would attend”?? Just so you know during that week over 1.6 million hives are being prepared or being moved from Bakersfield to Red Bluff, into the almond orchards. I don’t know about you but every beekeeper I know is working 24/7 getting ready for the almond pollination that week and the weeks after. I think the only one that would be attending the meeting would be you. As for the “Pollination Party,” I think you will miss that too if you went to the meeting.

As for hive rental prices, don’t believe everything you hear or read. I know that if it’s on the internet then it must be true, but…. right now, I can rent you 20,000 strong healthy hives (11-14 frames) at $165.00 per hive, you can turn around and, (according to you) rent them to the growers for $175.00 per hive and make a quick $200,000. If you don’t know that many growers you can list them on Craigslist, "it’s a drop in the bucket."

I’ll have the hives delivered to you in two weeks, but I’ll need a 10% deposit ($330,000) to hold them. So what do you say?

25,000 hives is a drop in the bucket compared to 1.6 million hives. Mine are all in place before the last week, but I have an advantage - I'm in California already. You being an almond grower, would just love to knock the prices down, wouldn't you? As far as your offer goes, I have my own bees and am not brokering yours. Good luck.

No need to get snarky with eachother...I'm no trying to tick anyone off. My point is that Craigslist gets it done if you start in September.

Well OK, Then. I'm turning the trucks around.

Didn't mean to get "snarky" just wanted clarifications and just thought you would like to make a quick $200,000, and put your pollen traps on all 20,000 hives....just say'n.

As for hive rental prices, don’t believe everything you hear or read. I know that if it’s on the internet then it must be true, but…. right now, I can rent you 20,000 strong healthy hives (11-14 frames) at $165.00 per hive, you can turn around and, (according to you) rent them to the growers for $175.00 per hive and make a quick $200,000. If you don’t know that many growers you can list them on Craigslist, "it’s a drop in the bucket."

I can rent you that many right now for $100 a hive. However I am going to need them back Febuary 1 ,2014 in the same condition they are in now.
    Any takers?
    Last edited by Nick Noyes; 10-14-2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: poor computer skills

just curious, i do not see any hives for rent on the cali craigs list. am i not searching the right way?? i type in hives for rent or bee hives for rent or almonds need pollination. nothing comes up. i dont know what hes talking about when he says there are 20,000 hives for rent on craigs list. maybe i am wrong. please explain. i would think that it could be a risky move to just find some guy you dont know on craigs list and trust he will deliver good bee hives.

Go to Craigslist, search for "services" "for sale" "Almond Pollination", "Bees for rent", "Bees for Sale'. Check in each major almond cities/towns. Chico, Sacramento, Modesto, Fresno (there is one there for 15,000 hives in the Fresno ad).

You would need to "Trust but Verify" most growers will want to visit the bee yard and do an informal inspection. I have one coming up this week.

Shouse, how many hives does your company place into the almonds?
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Noyes View Post

I can rent you that many right now for $100 a hive. However I am going to need them back Febuary 1 ,2014 in the same condition they are in now.
    Any takers?
    February first might be a little early.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mansell View Post
    Shouse, how many hives does your company place into the almonds?
    Well if I can get Nick to let me have his hives a couple more months, we would do about 28,000.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast