Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: Pollination prices

Beeserious - 6 frames of brood with 8 frames of bees are good enough to pollinate very hard if they are increasing, especially if you add a pollen trap for 1-2 days before the anthesis time period (about 5 days for almonds) when pollen is accepted from stamen to the style and into the carpel (or however the individual flower works in other species - angiosperms vs gymnosperms - I have to read up on wikipedia and pollinator.com), as the bees will usually double up the pollen effort (say 40% of the colony after pollen as opposed to 20% before the the trap was placed). Exact splitting the right amount of time before the haul up to the almonds is still an art - they want a good feeding well before the trip, but NOT when they get there!

Thanks for mentioning that price! I'd enjoy getting that much for lots of small colonies if I can, but I would probably boost those 4-framers up a frame of brood and combine a shake of queenless nurse bees with them, too. Pollinator colonies need to be larger than that, or they won't do much for the orchard. If it were MY almond orchard AND my bees, I'd probably try to balance my splits with a minimum of 8 frames of brood and 10 frames of bees with honey box on top, comb already drawn but not filled, if I could.

I'd really like to hear from long-time pollinators if there are better arrangements than this, also to hear from almond growers and other crop scientists who really get into it! I'd love to know all the best procedures and offer the best pollination practices to the customers.
    Last edited by kilocharlie; 02-03-2013 at 03:53 PM.

$125 for blueberries and $60 for cranberry. Pumpkin, apple, Borage are $50 but borage is going to $75 soon

Does anyone know what the going rate is for apple and cranberry pollination in WI this year?
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Quote Originally Posted by Beeslave View Post
    Does anyone know what the going rate is for apple and cranberry pollination in WI this year?
    Id like to know what apple pollination rate in Wisconsin is too

Jed

I heard $50 for apples from a beekeeper who pollinates several orchards. He also heard of another that was only charging $45.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

That is essentially the price I was hearing 20 years ago. Makes me wonder why bother at that rate?

Jean-Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    Id like to know what apple pollination rate in Wisconsin is too

Jed
    What about what it should be? What do you think it should be? What price would make doing it worthwhile to you?

Orchards need bees to pollinate. Beekeepers should set the price. Too low? Walk away.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Is there any build up in an apple orchard, or is more or less a "wash"?

If they were not in the apple orchard would they be out getting some honey flow? Yea... I guess they would. Guess a medium per hive in the SC may/june flow would add up...
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

A farmer approached me for 3 hives to be placed on green and yellow squash in S. Jersey. I've never done this before and would like to know a fair amount to charge. I only keep 15 hives. Thanks-Ed

Depends how far you have to travel to place them. Will he be spraying? What else is around for the bees to forage? What do you think your hive is worth if you lose it? then decide what to charge. After last spring and losing hives in the apple orchards my price has risen and I'm very particular where I put my bees.

I'll be traveling 2-3 miles each way.
    There is a swamp behnd the hives, clover everywhere and a couple of acres of some tall lavender flowers across the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Honey View Post
    I'll be traveling 2-3 miles each way.
    There is a swamp behnd the hives, clover everywhere and a couple of acres of some tall lavender flowers across the street.
    $60.hive...... get them out before the squash start to rot...SHB.
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Thanks for the reply.
    He offered $75 so I'll try it if nothing else for the experience.

Thanks for the reply.
    He offered $75 so I'll try it if nothing else for the experience.
    It is good experience and leads to contacts with others which leads to placing "more" bees....

Yep. Now he wants 3 more for cucumbers in a few weeks!
    I'm just rolling in the dough.....or is it DOH! lolol

I'm told the field of blue flowers across the street are cornflowers? Tough to say for sure.

cornflowers.jpgcornflowers1.jpg
    Last edited by Eddie Honey; 06-02-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Is it DOH! lolol? You betcha!! No really, DOH! Eddie. Double time.

I would suggest $100+ minimum if you do it at all. There is more risk than reward here.

If you do it, skim those hives and only bring a minimum of bees. Make splits. You only need 6-8 frames of bees for pollination. Dont bring your full double deeps Eddie.

Think for a minute why he has no beekeeper now? There is No shortage of sideliners in South Jersey to do that small farm work, that cheap.

There is a good chance those crops, the way they are raised today, will injure your bees and there won't be enough time before winter to get them back to health. The bigger 'Keeps do it and bring their bees south and are able to get them back to health down there.

You can't replace the bees for $75. Let alone covering time and effort to move those hives. Just trying to save you the heartache. Stick to making honey. 1 thirty pound box of honey will get you more than that paltry $75 you are offered. 30# of honey x $7-$8 Retailed = $200+ for your efforts.

It's ok 'cause them $60 boys ain't coming all this way for 3 hives.

Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah Creek View Post
    Is it DOH! lolol? You betcha!! No really, DOH! Eddie. Double time.

I would suggest $100+ minimum if you do it at all. There is more risk than reward here.

If you do it, skim those hives and only bring a minimum of bees. Make splits. You only need 6-8 frames of bees for pollination. Dont bring your full double deeps Eddie.

Think for a minute why he has no beekeeper now? There is No shortage of sideliners in South Jersey to do that small farm work, that cheap.

There is a good chance those crops, the way they are raised today, will injure your bees and there won't be enough time before winter to get them back to health. The bigger 'Keeps do it and bring their bees south and are able to get them back to health down there.

You can't replace the bees for $75. Let alone covering time and effort to move those hives. Just trying to save you the heartache. Stick to making honey. 1 thirty pound box of honey will get you more than that paltry $75 you are offered. 30# of honey x $7-$8 Retailed = $200+ for your efforts.

Just saying.
    True to the bitter end for your dead colonies. Pollinating veggies including cukes is harzardous to the bees. No doubt from prolific spraying and lack of forage. Charge him $75.00 per crop and dont reuse the same hives from one crop to the other. Move them out on good forage as soon as its done. DO NOT leave them there the entire summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah Creek View Post
    Is it DOH! lolol? You betcha!!

Just saying.
    I mean... we are talking about 3 hives on squash... right... maybe an acre of squash. At $100 a hive that will be $300... probably more than the guys gross on the big garden. And squash only have about a 2 week bloom window... so the hives will not be there very long and are not likely to suffer... unless the guy uses crop dusters on his acre..... No bobcats to load no flatbed to fill with diesel... no netting... no spreaders. Take you $180 and grin all the way home....

HE won't have enough bees. There's at least 10 acres of squash here. There are watermelons 30 rows away or so but they aren't in bloom yet.

HE won't have enough bees. There's at least 10 acres of squash here. There are watermelons 30 rows away or so but they aren't in bloom yet.
    He needs 10 for the squash and about 40 for the melons. There need to be enough bees to force the bees to pollinate... they are not going to like squash and melons unless that is all they have to eat. Main thng..... get them out before the SHB.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast