I tend to ramble.
    Rambling is good, I do it all the time.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Default Re: Pollination prices

U didn't answer the "P.S" question.

Got almond contract for 150.00

OH BOY, here we go again. Honeys not even stacked in the warehouse and beekeepers got the almond dollar signs in their eyes. The price will be what the price will be when all the bees that are going are there. If there is a shortage you will get paid good. If there is an excess of bees the price will soften and your junk will be lined with a big red marker and you will not get paid. IT IS WHAT IT IS WHEN IT IS. you can hold out till the very last second and make an extra 15/hive or end up on the side of I-5 with your bees holding a sign that reads " Bees for rent.....cheap"
    Smart beekeepers, don't go to CA unless/until they have written contracts. The price is what is written in the contract, and is not subject to change after the contract is written.
    Last edited by Barry; 12-22-2010 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by suttonbeeman View Post
    Got almond contract for 150.00
    $150/per hive, but what are the requirements?
    I am also about to sign one and was wondering what is going on the market.

8 frame ave...5 fr min

The silence on this thread is killing me. I check every now and then thinking there will be news regarding the 2011 gambling with bees event and not a word. Is a deafening silence normal for December? Is this the poker face month?

A blight killed all the almond trees. No bees needed.
    (kidding of course)

Look on this silence as the calm before the storm.

I also, was watching this thread very closely and did a lot of searches on google for “almond pollination” with no results. I thought, this year there would be more information in the fall to prevent the last year's problems. Every beekeeper or broker I spoke to is waiting for the after New Year. There were many meetings, conferences in the last month where they talked about almond too, but no one gives a word out. The price will be higher this year, but it is not clear in what range.
    Were the Australian packages banned or it is still at the recommendation stage?

I don't know, if there is an more interesting topic at this time of the year other than almond pollination pirces.

A broker told me that this was normal (as you guys said) and everyone is eating Christmas cookies. I guess we will all have to wait to see how many bees made it to California alive.

Regards, Barry

Sad Re: Pollination prices

Greatings,y am a beekeper from romania,in ouer contry Romania wee,the beekeper and ouer honey bee wee polinate for free,and farmers they repayes us by kiling ouer honey bees with pesticides

Lightbulb Re: Pollination prices

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Sure, but it can very, by state, and contract.

My pollination price on apples in NY for 2010 will be $60.00 for orders less than 200 colonies and $55.00 for orders of 200 plus.

Cranberries $60.00/ colony.

That's about all I pollinate. Unless some of my bees go to CA.
    What about charrys what price for them and how many hives per acer I think its 2 hives per acer and about $60 a hive is that rite im in WA state cherry orchard is in oregon sorry new to beesource thought i would ask something

2011 Almond prices are $140

There is an ad in the Modesto Bee for bees at $145. At these prices I am sure glad I am using my own bees for pollinating my almonds.

The last two years I had huge winter losses (over 50%) and had to rent bees for the first time in 20 years. This year is defiantly better and my winter losses are less running than 10%.
    Steve

We are in the Fresno - Coalinga area.

Yeasterday 1/25/11 I visted a grower near Coalinga (told me we charged to much at $140.00) He paid $110.00 for dead bees shiped out from back east. There were tens of thousands of dead bees which were being cleaned out by the worker bees, in some places they were 2 inches thick in a 2' X 2' area outside the hive. I would be supprised if the queens were even alive. I told him we sold dead bees for only $1.00 per pound and for what he paid for the number of dead bees he had, he could of saved $60.00 per hive.

Has anyone heard "you get what you pay for"

Why would you risk your annual income for a few dollars??

Cheap things are of no value, Valuable things are not cheap!

Big Grin Re: Pollination prices

Yea, cheap bees are cheap bees. Those dead ones arent the greatest pollinators though. Sounds like the east coast bee keeper needs some Happy Harrisons Hive Revive with top ingredients such as tomato juice and castor oil. Little dab will do ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylors_Bees View Post
    What about charrys what price for them and how many hives per acer I think its 2 hives per acer and about $60 a hive is that rite im in WA state cherry orchard is in oregon sorry new to beesource thought i would ask something
    I haven't pollinated cherries, but that seems about right, 2/acre. As far as price, I would suggest you try for more than $60.00, unless other beekeepers are lower. But I would still try to be higher than others. Someone has to push the price up, the growers aren't going to suggest it.

I raised my pollination price one year, after having the same price for many years. One grower said, "About time, wasn't it?" They know it costs to keep bees going.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Greetings to you Kovaci, That happens here too at times.

In our commercial cherry orchard we pollinated with 1/acre. That was from 1953 until last month when my Mom sold it.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast