Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Pollination prices

Blueberries 55
    Strawberries 50
    Melons 50
    Cukes/pumpkins/squash 45

Anyone have a good rate on cotton - central texas?

Never been paid for cotton. Kind of a hit or miss kind of thing, like soybeans, as far as buildup goes. Be very careful, if they find a weevil they'll spray mercilesly, and not in a bee friendly manner.

We have almost 2,000 hives here in Fresno, Ca we expect Almond Prices to be $150.00 per. We are 100% booked...but "the checks are in the mail"

Speculation on prices always comes around at this time. I suggest that if you can get $150 for 8 frames of bees you lock that in NOW. I know I would.
    Last edited by JohnK and Sheri; 09-05-2010 at 01:54 PM. Reason: off topic
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

We are a small co-op and our prices have a floor and a ceiling.
    Depending on the growers' yeild and price, the price could range from 140. to 170.
    Growers receive Patronage dividends the higher the prices are in relation to their yeild/market price. Their net cost (spot price) is based on several factors yeild, price per pound, 3 year average. We are quoting a spot price of 150. If they have a good year the price may increase up to 15% of their gross per acre.

So Shouse, your price goes up 15% in a good year, or just the growers? What about in a bad year, would your price go down 15% in a bad year?

Jean-Marc

The quick answer is yes.
    The long answer is:
    For this coming year the maximum price will not exceed $170.00 usd, the lowest price will not go below $140.00.
    We all agreed, after much debates, to set the "spot price" of the hive rental at $150.00 for this coming season.
    This was based on several factors including last years yield and what we anticipate this year (which is looking very good), the cost of managing the bees (including colony losses). As an example; if a grower ends the year with a gross per acre of $5,600 and we had set the spot price at the $150.00 that grower would end up paying $170.00 per hive (the ceiling). On the other hand if the grower has a bad year and receives $3,800 that grower would receive a "rebate" of $10.00 per hive. The formula for determing the floor and the ceiling and any dividends are propriety.
    We also set up a patronage dividend account and rebate profits carried over from previous years. The effect of this is that if the expense of the hives do not increase in relation to the revenue i.e. we do not incurr heavy winter bee losses, the growers as well as the beekeepers share in this profit.
    Hope that helps.....or is it clear as mud?

MUD

Whew I thought it was just me.

It's the proprietary formula that would take some of the mud away. Without that info it's a little cloudy.

Jean-Marc

we are hearing 145 for almonds next spring. anyone hearing any better

I have heard prices from 135 t0 155. the 140-150 seems to be the norm for now.

This is third hand, but I heard Paramount was offering $155. I don't know if that included any bonus or not.

Based on the latest news about Aussie imports, I'd be slow to contract right now.

With the possibility of the mexican border being opened up for honeybees to be brought to the almonds I wouldn't be getting too greedy. $150.00 ea contract is better than trying to find a place to take them where you can at least break even and have good bees to split for the summer honey season.

Not to mention that it won't be just the almond contracts but all the other pollination and honey production being done by migratory mexican beekeepers that will legally be taking our job's/income/life styles.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Does anyone get payed for buckwheat pollination ? How much ? Or should I just be happy with all the buckwheat honey I get and sell for a premium around here.
    Also, seems there is more and more canola going in around here. Is there any market for canola pollination.
    The only pollination I do now is some apples $55 colony, and I only have to move the bees a 20 minute drive.

OH BOY, here we go again. Honeys not even stacked in the warehouse and beekeepers got the almond dollar signs in their eyes. The price will be what the price will be when all the bees that are going are there. If there is a shortage you will get paid good. If there is an excess of bees the price will soften and your junk will be lined with a big red marker and you will not get paid. IT IS WHAT IT IS WHEN IT IS. you can hold out till the very last second and make an extra 15/hive or end up on the side of I-5 with your bees holding a sign that reads " Bees for rent.....cheap"
    Last edited by Barry; 12-22-2010 at 09:29 AM.

Big Grin Re: Pollination prices

little extra time on your hands this morning, Simple?
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Hey Keith,
    my posts are directly related to watching my daughter which is usually waiting for my wife to get home after I have been moving bees, drinking beer, cleaning extracting room, running wax, making bio-diesel (beer cures metholal poisoning) ect ect. I tend to ramble. sorry
    http://www.ediblecommunities.com/fro...grampas-honey/

P.S. Do you still believe this Valley is pure poison?

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast