Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Pollination prices

Last year at $152, my net was 105 after trucking from fl, off loading in almonds, loading back on truck and broker fees. If I feed (have them feed in Ca) cost was $5/ hive including srup.

Brokers fees are around 8 bucks a hive right now.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by alpha6 View Post
    Brokers fees are around 8 bucks a hive right now.
    thats it?, I always figured they would be around $12-$16 a hive, shows what I know
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by suttonbeeman View Post
    Last year at $152, my net was 105 after trucking from fl, off loading in almonds, loading back on truck and broker fees. If I feed (have them feed in Ca) cost was $5/ hive including srup.
    not a bad return sutton, I get the feeling you didn't feed your over there, thanks for sharing!
    Ted

Does anyone from Maine ever go to the almonds? I'm guessing the trucking from here would br brutal!

I wonder what taking a semi load of bees from Dexter, ME to Merced, CA would cost? I'm guessing there and back would be about $15,000 - reckon thats in the ball park? 3342 miles according to Mapquest

Around 6,700 to 7,500 each way for a total of 13,400 to 15,000 depending on who you got to haul them. You are about right.

January 6 Ag Alert, California Farm Bureau weekly add. Pollination service, ALMOND GROWERS, Are you looking for an oppertunity to rent high quality bees at an attractive price? 10,000 colonies available, 8 frame average, $117.00, 10 frame average, $127.00, Most of these bees live in So Cal with warm weather and a current nectar flow. I know of no beekeeper from calif. that ever worked with this broker twice. ( Nectar Flow ?) Where? Bees are robbing in the foothills around LA and Orange county. Alen Buckly 605-851-3304, Supplying quality bees for 40 years. There must be an endless supply of gulible beeks and growers.

2 ads in the Fresno bee offering pollination. I phoned them. Both are sold out, at $100. 2hrs later one of them phoned me back, needing 600 at 105 maximum. Go figger.
    Welcome to California.

I wish them bad luck! Maybe that will stop the undercutting...No bees will cross from east US to west US at $100. By the time you pay unloading or go unload yourself, trucking feeding if it in wet ect you are at less than 70....not worth it for that long of a trip!

I agree. This year my bees are better off in Ga. Besides if this year is anything like last year the bees looked almost worse coming back from the Almonds than they did going out. Its pretty crazy in Ca. If you remember a few years back prices hit 180 right at the end of the season cause they didnt have enough bees out there.

What is a "strong" hive for pollination? When one says "8 frames" do you mean 8 frames covered with bees or with brood?

8 frames means exactly that...when you pick up the box and look from bottom up....bees are covering 8 frames(deeps) shallows/med count as 1/2 frame. My bees are now pollinating almonds...price went up. Had a offer of 190 to me less transportation Monday. Desperation has set in! Bet I'll geta contract before chritmas next year! My bees have came back strong the last three years....great flying weather now so bees should be doing good, just hope it holds. Grower told me today that first blooming variety will be in full bloom Friday...looks like a fast bloom.

lol you did alot of talking about not going to be both feet in huh? Definitely inspired me. Think a decent contract can be got as early as july this year for next season?

Can anyone tell me what I should be charging for a handshake contract pumpkin job in kansas, Its only about 7 acres and the guy wants only a dozen colonies.

In my area we got any where from 30-45 a hive for melons pumpkins etc.
    " A LIE CAN TRAVLE AROUND THE WORLD, WHILE THE TRUTH IS PUTTING ON IT'S SHOE'S."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike. T. View Post
    In my area we got any where from 30-45 a hive for melons pumpkins etc.
    I think I'm doing ok then with $25 a colony

Not if you are losing honey production because they could be in a better area.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

pumpkins....$45-50

Quote Originally Posted by Beewrangler View Post
    I think I'm doing ok then with $25 a colony
    No, you are not. If you aren't getting all that you can, you are cheating yourself and spoiling the grower. And spoiling the market for other beekeepers. Somebody has to be getting the top dollar or none of us will. If your bees are strong and do the job, you should get paid for it.

And there is the honey that you won't get from those hives. Where are you going to make up that lost income from?

Treat this as a business. If not for your own good, then for the good of others.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast