Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Default Re: Pollination prices

Just so we are all on the same page.... 20,000 hives in almonds is a very small drop in the bucket. We don't run 20,000 but I can get all you want now as long as they are returned before Febuary 1, 2014 in the same condition as they are in right now.
    It's only 3 and half months what could possibly go wrong?

Well... OK, but only if Kilocharlie brings all the pollen traps.

I'm putting the ad in craigslist now.
    California Almond Pollination Services, Inc.
    http://www.almondbeepollination.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Noyes View Post
    Just so we are all on the same page.... ?
    You don't count Nick, according to others, Shouse says in his almond agreement that he doesn't take bees that were fed Nutra Bee.... How many semi's of sub did I send to you & your dad this year Nick......

Ah rats your just going to have to suffer with that low rental price in the almonds like you did last year Nick.

BTW, Nicks bees on you-tube video, search under "almond pollination 2012"
    Last edited by Keith Jarrett; 10-17-2013 at 10:54 AM.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

[QUOTE=Keith Jarrett;1011202]How many semi's of sub did I send to you & your dad this year Nick......

Ah Gees, Nick, I knew there was a catch, Dang Nab It! No wonder you're only asking $100.00 a hive.

I think there may be a misunderstanding. We are committed for almonds in Febuary and March.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Noyes View Post
    I think there may be a misunderstanding. We are committed for almonds in Febuary and March.
    No misunderstanding, I think we were all joking around but I think Kilocharlie is still building 20,000 pollen traps to capture all that almond pollen.

I hear the rates are above $185.00. It must be true I saw it on the internet.
    Last edited by Shouse; 10-23-2013 at 06:55 PM. Reason: spell check not working and I'm stupid

I spoke with our broker a few weeks ago, quoting expectations of between 180-225.00 per colony. But the winter is not here yet.

Quote Originally Posted by matt1954 View Post
    I spoke with our broker a few weeks ago, quoting expectations of between 180-225.00 per colony. But the winter is not here yet.
    And what is the name of this broker?

Quote Originally Posted by matt1954 View Post
    Ive been talking with a broker that is getting $180.00 this season .
    Clear Lake Wi. / Sebring Fl.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mansell View Post
    And what is his name?

Regarding pricing: Could someone on here please explain why anyone would willing reveal WHO is offering WHAT regarding the price of pollination?

If the "price is right" why would anyone want to play "lets make a deal" and reveal what broker is possibly behind door #3.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    Regarding pricing: Could someone on here please explain why anyone would willing reveal WHO is offering WHAT regarding the price of pollination?

If the "price is right" why would anyone want to play "lets make a deal" and reveal what broker is possibly behind door #3.
    Hmmmmm, let me see Oh, Oh, Oh, I know! Because the more hives the broker leases out at $225.00 per hive the more he makes! But wait that's not all we the beekeepers can use that broker AND WE MAKE MORE $$$ TOO! IT'S A WIN WIN FOR EVERYONE!

Hey Phil is the 180.00 to the Beek ? if so that sounds like a lot of money to me. more is better but that's a good price IMHO
    George Brenner @ www.valleyhoneyco.com
    Mesa, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post

I think some brokers are trying to set a price for the season ,"a going rate" . Most brokers just get a flat rate $20-$25 a hive so it doesn't really mater what the price is. The broker I was talking to visited Ga and Fl to sign up beekeepers he told us he is asking $180-185 from the grower.

This is starting to sound like a "straight pipe",

from the ears (bypass brain) to tongue.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Quote Originally Posted by G B View Post
    Hey Phil is the 180.00 to the Beek ? if so that sounds like a lot of money to me. more is better but that's a good price IMHO
    Dr George, (inside joke folks)

At this point I can not answer that question knowledgeably. Sorry!!!! If you really want to know you might want to ask the broker on this thread what he is willing to sign you up for as of yesterday. That will give you a basis from which to begin to work with. If you know the last one he signed I doubt it will be going down from that point till end of January. If you happened to be so blessed as to get a notarized copy of the last one he signed let me know. I might be missing it but I haven't seen him reveal his current offering on here.

Brokers can be a good deal for some. That depends on what the beek needs and what the broker offers.

It has been my observation that the folks who gain the most out of a brokering situation fall into two categories of beekeepers. If you are not wearing one of the of these beekeeping sandals you'd most often be better of going on you own straight to the grower or through a friend who is well connected and respected. ( you are familiar with what i mean here I assume)

1. Those who go through a frame count program that pays top bucks per frame similar to what Mr. Mike R. offers and repeatedly has performed under in Northern California.

2. Those who live far away and can ship bees last minute to someone who is dumping them in, pulling them straight out,( no care needed) and aren't inclined to want to the travels,hassles, and expenses of coming to the land of Fruits and nuts.

Any other reason someone would use a broker?

Most brokers just get a flat rate $20-$25 a hive so it doesn't really mater what the price is. The broker I was talking to visited Ga and Fl to sign up beekeepers he told us he is asking $180-185 from the grower.
    Trevor,

I have to disagree with you that “it doesn’t really matter what the price is.”
    Ultimately, the beekeeper and the grower pay the broker fee either directly or indirectly and it matters greatly to the grower as well as the beekeeper. If the grower or the beekeeper can avoid the added cost of a broker’s fee (all things being equal), the grower will go with the lowest cost, and the beekeepers will receive a higher rental fee.

It makes total sense that if the grower or the beekeeper does not need the services offered by a broker they should not use one. That is an economic decision that needs to be made on a personal level. Does the broker fee justify the services provided?

If a broker is charging you $20.00 and gets a rental rate from a grower of say $150.00 you net $130.00 before travel costs. Does it make sense for you to incur a $50.00 per hive trucking/hive prep expense from Florida and forgo the loss opportunity revenue such as local honey production, or pollination contracts to net $80.00? On the other hand, does it make more sense if the broker gets a rate of say $200.00, and you net $180.00 before travel costs?

I talk with hundreds of almond growers each year, last week alone I or my associates spoke to at least 20-30 growers and not one of them are expecting to pay $180.00 per hive (only time will tell) none of them are ready to sign a contract for more than $155.00 per hive. Most beekeepers I talk to are not ready to comment their hives at that rate.

The reason I ask who these brokers are (and I assume they do not mine their names being revealed since they are promoting their services via visits to your area) is because if its Joe Traynor or Denise Quails that are saying it, it a lot difference then if someone like Blankenship is saying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shouse View Post
    Trevor,

I have to disagree with you that “it doesn’t really matter what the price is.”
    Ultimately, the beekeeper and the grower pay the broker fee either directly or indirectly and it matters greatly to the grower as well as the beekeeper. If the grower or the beekeeper can avoid the added cost of a broker’s fee (all things being equal), the grower will go with the lowest cost, and the beekeepers will receive a higher rental fee.

It makes total sense that if the grower or the beekeeper does not need the services offered by a broker they should not use one. That is an economic decision that needs to be made on a personal level. Does the broker fee justify the services provided?

If a broker is charging you $20.00 and gets a rental rate from a grower of say $150.00 you net $130.00 before travel costs. Does it make sense for you to incur a $50.00 per hive trucking/hive prep expense from Florida and forgo the loss opportunity revenue such as local honey production, or pollination contracts to net $80.00? On the other hand, does it make more sense if the broker gets a rate of say $200.00, and you net $180.00 before travel costs?

I talk with hundreds of almond growers each year, last week alone I or my associates spoke to at least 20-30 growers and not one of them are expecting to pay $180.00 per hive (only time will tell) none of them are ready to sign a contract for more than $155.00 per hive. Most beekeepers I talk to are not ready to comment their hives at that rate.

The reason I ask who these brokers are (and I assume they do not mine their names being revealed since they are promoting their services via visits to your area) is because if its Joe Traynor or Denise Quails that are saying it, it a lot difference then if someone like Blankenship is saying it.
    Thanks for bringing that math equation to my attention ,I would have never thought to put in all those figures. I don't care what Joe Traynor or Denise Quails are saying ,Im simply stating the price that has been offered to me and other beekeepers in my area by a reliable broker in Ca. The last time I checked the title of this thread is pollination prices ,which is simply what I am posting .

The fee for the brokerage service and loading/unloading the bees is usually $20.00-$25.00 a hive ,some just charge a few dollars for the contract but don't do any of the heavy lifting. The price from the growers have no effect on the brokerage fee the fee is what it is . Thats why I said it doesn't matter what the price is .

Trevor,

Thank you for clarifying that it was the loading and unloading fees you were speaking of, yes you are correct that doesn't directly effect the grower's offer.

I'm still curious as to why you don't name the source of the information.

As a beekeeper I would jump all over a hive rental price of $180.00 - $185.00.

Its Ryan Cusins from Chowchilla ,its not a secret. Why are you so worried about who it is ? You seem to know so much about Almond pollination tell us ,where will the market be this year? I mean you are the one pontificating on this thread about all things Almond pollination .

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast