Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: April splits

Default April splits

I have always had the best splits made in april, im up in red bluff right now and were splitting our hives right now who else?

Default Re: April splits

I have 3 splits going right now.
    One has a virgin queen, she be mated and laying any time now.
    One has capped queen cell.
    One has queen cells not capped yet.
    "A good day is when no one shows up and you don't have to go anywhere." - Burt Shavitz (Burt's Buzz)

Just did 7 new splits gave a mated queen to each all looking good

Just 1500 this week seem to be doing just fine. Starting on round 2.

I made 5 splits last Fri with queen cells all cells hatched will see if they mate in about 2 weeks if I can keep my nose out of them.Things are starting to dry up so nectar will stop.
    Dan

600 yesterday. 200 tomorrow. Thinking they will be fine. More to go.

Jean-Marc

Ur behind, made splits 3-4 weeks ago....

Next 5 weeks in Cali will be long and expensive. Can't wait for the rain on Sunday. HAPPY EASTER.

Funny you should mention that. I was just about to grab the snow shovel and dig them out so I could do splits today. NOT!

Some people have all the luck!

Ive made twenty splits so far, 12 with my own queens, 5 with purchased cordovan queens from Houtmans out of Oroville and three walk aways that have laying queens now. I tell you what, this has been a great year so far, only had one virgin that didn't make it back from mating flights!! Will make more splits in about a month.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Do you queen them all or are yours walkaway

do you queen them all or just walk away

Quote Originally Posted by GageFamilyBeekeeping View Post
    do you queen them all or just walk away
    I try to either put in mated queens or ripe cells, but I just did another 4 walk aways this last Sunday as the hives were strong double deeps packed with brood/eggs. They have multiple queen cells that I may cut out a few to make even more splits! If you do walk aways just make sure there is a lot of capped brood/eggs and larva since it will be almost two months before the new queen lays eggs and her offspring emerge!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

30 days.

Quote Originally Posted by jean-marc View Post
    600 yesterday. 200 tomorrow. Thinking they will be fine. More to go.

Jean-Marc

Jean-Marc; how long doest it take you to do 600 splits in one day? Do you install mated queens in them? How many brood frams do you use? Do you feed immediately and do you also give pollen patty? How many worked does it take to do a days work like that? Sorry for all questions out of no where; just can't imagine how one can do all that...I have 30 increases I did a month ago and I was so spent by the end of the day that I stall get tired just thinking about out. Thank you in advance.

the most we ever made was 800 /day. 6 man crew. you just push them out with bee go, then set your plit up with brood and food, plsce queen excluder then your set up boxes, and you are done. come collect in the morning or during that night, take off mother hive, place on pallet, give mother hive extra box, and go unload in another yard. 2 days later go introduce, and feed, and then come check to make sure she is out in 3 days then come back with feed and to check in 1 week, just to make sure she is out, and laying. you can also wait 2 weeks, and do all the checking and feeding then.
    the most i made with just one helper, and that was with searching for the queens, was 160/day.
    once you do this long enough Swiftwisdom, you learn to be efective, quick and not hurt so much at the end of the day )) right Jean-Mark?

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftwisdom View Post
    Jean-Marc; how long doest it take you to do 600 splits in one day? Do you install mated queens in them? How many brood frams do you use? Do you feed immediately and do you also give pollen patty? How many worked does it take to do a days work like that? Sorry for all questions out of no where; just can't imagine how one can do all that...I have 30 increases I did a month ago and I was so spent by the end of the day that I stall get tired just thinking about out. Thank you in advance.

@ crocodilu911: I appreciate the thorough details reply...sounds very resonable and doable..I will implement and see how it's goes next time. Also, thanks for the encouraging words...good to know I'm not alone feeling pain...labor of love. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by crocodilu911 View Post
    the most we ever made was 800 /day. 6 man crew. you just push them out with bee go, then set your plit up with brood and food, plsce queen excluder then your set up boxes, and you are done. come collect in the morning or during that night, take off mother hive, place on pallet, give mother hive extra box, and go unload in another yard. 2 days later go introduce, and feed, and then come check to make sure she is out in 3 days then come back with feed and to check in 1 week, just to make sure she is out, and laying. you can also wait 2 weeks, and do all the checking and feeding then.
    the most i made with just one helper, and that was with searching for the queens, was 160/day.
    once you do this long enough Swiftwisdom, you learn to be efective, quick and not hurt so much at the end of the day )) right Jean-Mark?

Quote Originally Posted by high rate of speed View Post
    30 days.
    But who's counting? I have held off for splits & grafting, & with the latest weather here it's proving wise. However, going to start cranking them out early next week, based upon weather forecast & build up.
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat :)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

I am a newbie, this is the first year my bees have made it through the winter! I have two hives. Both are booming. I am in Northern BC and there is still ice on the lake. I am going to split both hives. Both hives have two deeps and one smaller honey supers.

So I am thinking of taking one large super off each hive adding a empty super in it's place. Placing another super with the super I remove and just walk away and see what happens.

Question, how far from the donner hive do I need to place the split?

i would take the deep super away, with the old queen and the shallow super and take them at least 2 miles away, or place in dark basement for 48-72h then replace in the yard.

leave in the doner hive spot, the new split, that way they collect whatever bees are outside, and you can add a second box to that one ( see if it has enought bees for a deep or a shalow)
    with your cold conditions thre, i would not spread it to much. i mean do not give it too much empty space, since it is hard for them to heat up.

if you do not have queens or cells, after you made your split, go back 4 days later, and kill most of the cells, leave only 2-3. you can also leave them beee and see what goes on.
    good luck with your project.

Quote Originally Posted by steve62 View Post
    I am a newbie, this is the first year my bees have made it through the winter! I have two hives. Both are booming. I am in Northern BC and there is still ice on the lake. I am going to split both hives. Both hives have two deeps and one smaller honey supers.

So I am thinking of taking one large super off each hive adding a empty super in it's place. Placing another super with the super I remove and just walk away and see what happens.

Question, how far from the donner hive do I need to place the split?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast