Thread: Too much rain

Default Too much rain

Are any other east Texas beekeepers struggling with too much rain? Or guys in other gulf coast states? We have had such a cold wet winter and now just got 4 plus inches and then another rain yesterday and more today. My all weather spots are unusable and the rest are worse. We have piles more rain in the extended forecast! Any advice considering that I can't get my bees into their yards? I have thousands of hives sitting at my house and more on the way.

Default Re: Too much rain

Farmers always gripe about the Weather. If the Weather were perfect a Farmer would complain about that too. Wait a while it will change.
    "Most of my exercise comes from wrestling with pigs and beating dead horses."
    Mark Berninghausen

Its always too much one way or the other.
    Maybe rent a track loader.

I braved the moving water and my 1 ton nearly was swept away, I made it to the bees and they were just barely above water.
    We are in the same boat over here in Panola county. Not ideal mating conditions either for our nucs.

You need to get yards on oil locations, we are lucky and most our lards are oil and gas pads.
    The pasture yards out of the question.

Just trying to slug it out here and keep moving ahead. We do have 500 splits made....somehow. Fortunately the bees are heavy. Cell building has been the bright spot, guess they don't have much else to do. My rain gear has become my best friend.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by MNbees View Post
    We are in the same boat over here
    pun intended?
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Send some our way, Please.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

When I went into almonds this year, I had one nice day and then it rained 2 inches in 3 days in Butte county.
    Stuck in my apartment, I decided to attend church.
    They had a potluck and social that day.
    I found out the hard way; DO NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT RAIN IN CALIFORNIA!!!!!!

I thought they were going to tar, feather, and run me out of town on a rail!
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Most of our bees lost weight in the almonds... and we need to get them out and fed before we even worry about splitting them... finally it's drying out. I think it's mostly wet because of how cold of a winter we had. All of the trees and grass are weeks behind. An oak tree can suck hundreds of gallons out of the ground per day and pine maybe 30 to 50 gallons... Makes me want to run less bees for the first time in along while...

Hang in there! I know we are behind where you should be in TX, but March is always our lowest point. Clusters are at their smallest point, and pollen has not started coming in, but hopefully in the next day or so. It is too wet to get in yards... Not complaining, just commiserating... It will be way warmer and drier before you know it!
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

Funny how all the funky weather we a bleed our complaints about often lead to the best flows and build up once it breaks. If they don't starve out in the meanwhile a stuck truck or two is only a minor headache compared to dealing with a booming harvest latter in the years in which we have rain "issues."

A majority of mine out of the almonds are overweight which inhibits brood production space. Been hearing stories all over the board this year on that front. Never perfect for very long is it?

Just pulled our fourth graft today to the tune of a breeze and a ten degree break from the the 80 degree weather here yesterday. Pouring cells yesterday had to wait till after dark as the hot bulk bees were in a tither about the humidity and hot temps we had.

What do you mean "too much rain?" Andy, my wife got stuck today out by Dangerfield. Four of her bee keeping friends came and pulled her out with a 4 wheel drive pulling, and a hummerbee pushing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Man, I have been there.... just tonight in fact... lol. but we used two forklifts. One pulling one pushing. I see more rain is coming for us. We need it so badly in California and the Dakota's but I guess that's the way it goes some times. I guess one has to stay positive. I should say after 3 all nighters and another part night we did get all the hives moved out except the ones that are still out in California.

I got a Hummerbee stuck a couple days ago. Suddenly I don't feel so bullet proof driving them. Not long after that I had to give a farmer a ride when he got his tractor buried in the same area. Somehow it made me feel vindicated.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Pouring here like crazy now... I am just so tired of this....