Thread: Buckfast Bees

Default Buckfast Bees

I am in SE Missouri is there anyone near me selling buckfast bees in nucs.

Default Re: Buckfast Bees

I am not sure if you can find a list but most I know have been buying them from Ferguson Apiaries out of Canada, he has came to meeting in North Carolina the past few years and brought queens people have ordered, but maybe some might know someone that you can buy from that has bought queens from him. Maybe danno1800 can help you, he has some of those queens. If I were you Before I ordered a couple queens I would see about getting a bigger order up between your club or something, cost for queens and inspection plus shipping from there is high..
    Ted

weaver apiaries in Navasota, TX sells buckfast queens, not sure if they sell packages.

I've ordered some of those Canadian Buckfast. Good bees, but they are not available until July and August. If you make summe splits, then it's no problem.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

snip..
    weaver apiaries in Navasota, TX sells buckfast queens

tecumseh:
    that would be rweaver and not bweaver. bweaver now sells only one variety of queen and I don't think they advertise them as buckfast.

I bought a rweaver queen....meanest bees in the yard. Bought 2 from ferguson's. 1 to to replace miss nasty and one for a split. Both are doing great, nice bees to work with.
    When I sent an e-mail asking about availability, Bill sent me an e-mail saying they had just completed island mating some queens with buckfast from denmark. I plan on buying more for august 2010 requeening.
    "Can't never did do nothin'" Grandma Heltsley

The Weavers don't owe me anything, and I hope I don't sound like I'm coming to their defense.....but I'm coming to their defense. And I hope no one takes my defense as any kind of personal attack. I'm just a big fan of the Weavers. I love their queens.

As I seek to diversify my genetics, I've had my share of nasty queens from a variety of producers--although it is only a few queens here and there. I think any queen breeder has some bad genes floating around, especially if the queens are open-mated.

But it's only been a few queens that have been a problem, and clearly a scant minority. I've even caught some ferals that were down-right objectionable! And some of the most gentle queens were superseded and the disposition of the colony changed dramatically. I can't explain it--it just happened.

Yes, a few (and very few) of the queens I've purchased from Weavers have been a little "testy" (and I think defensiveness and aggression are somewhat subjective--some people get four stings and refuse to open the hive ever again). But I could work with these Weaver bees and they produced a TON of honey. The volume of honey was such that I didn't want to requeen them! There are trade-offs everywhere in life.

I think both Weavers tend to collect negative opinions of producing "mean" bees. I ordered from them last year and I'll order from them again this year. I like to diversity my genetic stock. They produce quality queens and their service is excellent. And I'm sure if there was some way to wave a magic wand and remove the nastiness from those few queens, they would do it in a heartbeat.

But in all fairness, if you don't want to take the risk, there are a hundred other queen producers to buy queens from, or you could learn to raise your own queens from your own gentle stock.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

R Weaver sells Buckfast Queens and Packages. I've ordered 2 packages for this next spring to give them a try.
    http://www.rweaver.com/buck.html

Hopefully in a year or two I can offer Buckfest nucs for pickup in NJ.
    Last edited by Sundance; 12-05-2009 at 03:38 PM. Reason: See Guidelines

Folks......... Please review the section guidelines.

For Sale and Wanted are different forums and are to be
    kept "non-conversational". Feel free to start a new thread
    in another section.

Limit replies to "I have them", "Joe Blow has them available"
    and the like.

Thanks

@sundance
    Rabble Rabble Rabble!
    -South Park.

I'd like to get some of those Canadian bees, Are they stocked out of that apiary from mainland Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by ArtD View Post
    R Weaver sells Buckfast Queens and Packages. I've ordered 2 packages for this next spring to give them a try.
    http://www.rweaver.com/buck.html
    Hi Art,
    I have been a beekeeper for one year just outside of Lexington, Ky. I started with Italian bees which everyone seems to prefer. I am tired of their robbing ways etc. We also used them for apitherapy, so we don't mind getting stung all the time.
    We read a lot re buckfast bees and cold, disease tolerance so we also ordered two pkgs of Buckfast bees from RWeaver for Spring 2010. We also ordered 1 pkg of BeeWeaver bees as well from BeeWeaver.
    Btw, are the 'R' Weavers and 'B' Weavers related to one another? As you know, the BeeWeaver supply a hybrid Buckfast which they claim is even MORE disease resistant and better honey producer.
    Also, note to all, try using Tibetan incense robes (juniper) when you smoke the hive. Easy to use, smells great and STAYS SMOKING !!!!
    Last edited by beeking1; 01-23-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: added ? mark

David Miksas, in Florida sells Buckfast queens and cells, breeder stock is from Canada, Dave runs a first class operation which I had the privilege of visiting while in Orlando.He had just started grafting this year on the day I visited and his first grafts were from his Buckfast stock