Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

what shrubs to plant?

16K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Omie 
#1 ·
I'd like to plant a privacy hedge along the road, maybe 300' long. I'm looking for a (or several different) native shrub(s) that will provide some pollen and/or nectar for the bees and maybe some berries for birds, too. I'd like to find something that grows between 4-10' tall in zone 5/6. Deer resistance would be a plus.

I know I'd need to plant acres and acres of anything to make a difference in honey production :rolleyes:, but every little bit helps, right?

I've looked through lists and links found on Beesource, but I need to narrow it down to my specs.

Any thoughts?

#5 ·
#6 ·
There ought to be a variety of Holly that would work, and bees love that when it is in bloom.

Privet honey supposedly is bad, but my bees work it when it blooms in the neighborhood and my honey tasted great. A little mixed in won't hurt, apparently.

#7 ·
Anyone know anything about Photinia’s? My mom has a lot of Asian Photinia’s. I know it’s not native, but when it blooms it looks like every bee within foraging distance is working them.

Good privacy hedge.

#11 ·
Try some St. Johnswort, 4-5' bush type. I have 5 plants that are loaded with bees for a couple of weeks in august. Both the deer & elk don't touch the stuff, but the bees sure love it. It's easy to start cuttings off of. I started about 100 plants that I wll be lining my driveway with along with some california poppies. Good luck:)

Spruce Bee

#14 ·
It is photinia. I have seen bees work it but I have seen more bees on holy though.
That looks like the Red Tip Photina. Pretty disease prone. The asian type my mom has does not seem to be. She has had them for 30+ years. Not sure what the "bee" difference is. But I see many more working the asian over the reds.

#18 ·
Not sure how they reproduce, seed, cuttings, ect.. I would like to know.

My book says Photinia (doesn't distinguish) can be propogated by taking greenwood or semi-ripe cuttings at the node, placed in free-draining medium from summer to winter. They root well in rockwool plugs with high levels of rooting hormone. Seeds can be sown in spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.