Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What do you eat for breakfast?

16K views 45 replies 36 participants last post by  gator75 
#1 ·
I ask as looking for ways to use honey in breakfast.

Of course I add it to my tea instead of sugar - but what else do you guys do to use honey in breakfast?

I was going to use honey in cereal, but it seems next to impossible to find unsweetened cereal these days.

#33 ·
Protein definitely carries me into the day the longest. No matter how much I enjoy oats covered in honey and butter, I tend to get hungry a few short hours later. Here's a good way to kill two birds with one stone, or one fish I should say. For dinner get yourself an over-sized piece of wild trout or salmon. Rub it with olive oil and crushed garlic, then sprinkle it with dill, salt and pepper, finally drizzle your favorite lite varietal honey over the salmon...bake or grill until the salmon is almost fully cooked but raw and reddish orange at the top, the key is to finish the salmon under the broiler to caramelize the honey garlic herb mixture. Douse with lemon juice and enjoy...but not too much...save some for Breakfast!!! The next morning, go pull a hen off the eggs...grab a few, and whip em up with a little cream from the goats or cows and then make a salmon omelette or frittata with chopped asparagus, cream cheese and capers. Recycling at its finest...of course with a piece of honey whole wheat toast, doused in honey, with jasmine green tea and honey for desert

#36 ·
"The most important meal of the day" at least until lunch!!!!

We usually cook some fresh eggs, bacon or elk sausage, pancakes or toast w/ honey/cinnamon, tea w/ honey and pollen or if the snows too deep I'll make up some oatmeal w/ last seasons blueberries, apples, pecans and sometimes banana. sweetened w/ honey and toast. I have been sweetening my jams,fruit butters and jellies w/ honey lately too for our toast and pancakes. I try to grab a spoon or 2 of honey and cinnamon/ pollen if I cant get the wife up or I'm too busy.

#38 ·
I'm trying to lose some weight so I've been eating a cup and a half of Fiber One cereal with a couple of tablespoons(more or less) on it to give it some flavor.I eat it dry without any milk.I put the milk in my 2-32 oz cups of coffee and when I want some protien I throw in 3 or 4 boiled eggs.I've already lost 53 lbs (and I'm still fat!) but I'm headed in the right direction.Its a real eye opener when you watch the first weigh in on biggest loser and you weigh more than 90% of the contestants.

#44 ·
When I was growing up in Wisconsin, Mom would make pancakes quite often for breakfast. We would always have them with maple syrup—not the artificial stuff but the real deal. It was made by Dad from the maple trees that were on our property. (I remember on Easter Sunday having to go home first when going from one grandparents place to the other so we could empty the sap cans).

When I had pancakes for the first time in Honduras, they served them with honey. It took me a moment before I could take my first bit. It didn’t seem right to have honey on pancakes. At that time I had just started beekeeping and wasn’t a honey connoisseur yet. Before this I had usually only had honey with peanut butter and bread as the after school snack (I could always find those two in the cupboards). It actually took a couple times of having pancakes before I began to get use to it.

Somewhat recently I was going back to Wisconsin to work seasonally. So I again had the chance to eat my pancakes with real maple syrup. But now I had the dilemma of wanting to grab the maple syrup as much as I wanted to grab the honey. Honey even tastes good on potato pancakes. (On a side note, you can now find the artificial stuff here in Honduras but not the real syrup. I stick with my honey.)

----------

Now honey in my coffee is something that I still haven’t gotten use to. I’ve had to use it in my coffee on occasion (the sugar may run out in my house but never the honey!). It gives my coffee a funky taste, in my opinion. Coffee, especially if it some good local stuff, is better with just a bit of milk or even black.

On the other hand, coffee farms are wonderful places for hives. Two of my apiaries are actually on coffee farms. Between the shade trees they usually use for coffee and the natural vegetation that normally surrounds them, you can get a good production of quality honey. But that is as far someone should mix coffee and honey.

----------
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.