Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: All Glass Langstroth Hive

You could use a low-e type of glass. This may combat some of the heat. I would probably just put windows in and not make it all glass.

>The thing I forgot to mention was, do they propolis the glass like they do the inner hive bodies ?

No.

It works best as far as observing the bees, to use foundationless otherwise the "walls" of foundation block your view...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I've been thinking about doing a top-bar hive with the northern side plastic. I think it should be shaded all the time since it's angled.

What about doing only two sides plastic/glass? That way the south and west would be wood and block most of the sun, but you could still see in. Might not be as bright though since it wouldn't have light all the way though.

Just a thought.

A lot of TBH's have a glass window on one side or both. Generally they have a cover that goes over the window to block out the light when its not in use.

I think the sides where you can see the faces of the combs are most useful. Seeing the edges isn't as educational.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

The Bowness Observation Hive:

Howto:

http://members.shaw.ca/metropropolis...ion%20Hive.pdf

Those look like great hive bodies!

I would want to see the sides of my hives more than the comb actually. Since most bees seem to work from center out, you almost never get to see the bees. If you see from the side, you can look in through the frames and be able to see how much of the frames they have filled and all of the activity in the hive all the time.

Just what I was thinking.

some have used a plexiglass inner cover. This guy from Wyoming did that and was able to observe how the condensation forms on the top of the hive and that the bees were actually gathering it:
    http://beenatural.wordpress.com/natu.../condensation/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12