Default How to get bees out of a wall and into a hive?

I have a concrete block building that has ha small hole in it, it has been it for years. This summer I noticed some honey bees in it. I want to get them out and put them in a hive, what is the best way to do it. It is about 5 feet off the ground and I was thinking of putting a hive in front of it, will the bees go into it and if so when, I would like to have them at my home by spring, please advise.

Also yesterday I bought a hive that had 2 supers on it, the owner said his bees left several years ago. Today I took it apart and there was what looked like some kind of mold in the brood chamber and the supers. Also there were some old looking things in there that looked similar to a small cacoon. What will I need to do to be able to use this hive, do I need to disenfect it maybe by cleaning it up good and pressure washing/
    I see plastic frames advertized, are they better than the wood ones?
    I also see hive paint for sell, is it OK just to use latex paint for the hive?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Wade

Default Re: How to get bees out of a wall and into a hive?

The only way to get the bees and bee combs out of the wall is to remove some blocks. If that is not possible then you can fabricate a funnel with hardware cloth and attach this over the opening making sure that no other opening exist. Now to catch those bees which will leave the nest you must have a bee hive with some brood and a queeen nearby. This will take about three weeks. A simple funnel can be made by using a short piece of plastic pipe and use this to roll an extension on this with window screen material, about 10 inches long. Make sure the opening is small, just large enough to let a drone pass.
    Once you are sure the bees are out and nothing is alive in the waal you can remove the hive and bring another hive to rob the honey.
    The bee hive you now have should be cleaned and can be used later.
    About plastic frames and plastic foundation, if you have 12 beekeepers together there will be 13 opinions and I am the one having two.I like to stay away of plastic and especially duragilt. If the combs are not fully drawn at the end of the season, the bees will remove the wax coating and never build on it again.
    Janvanhamont

Thanks for your response. Is this the right time of the year to get the bees into my hive, if not when?
    Where can I get a queen and other items that I need?

Thanks,
    Wade

Quote Originally Posted by midnight1957 View Post
    Is this the right time of the year to get the bees into my hive?
    Not if you want them to survive through the winter. Wait till the spring, if they are even still alive.

As far as getting supplies, you can build your own, or order from Mann Lake or Brushy Mountain (google search). If you want a queen, contact your local beekeeper's association and talk to someone about where they are getting theirs from.

Tried using a hives with brood and a queen. In both instances the bees that were being trapped out killed the queen. Had to put in a frame of brood with eggs so that they would make a new queen.

You would think that the bees that were part of the queen's hive would have protected the queen.

Granted that I had a major learning curve on my first two trapouts this year but all 3 trapouts took at least 8 weeks to trapout the complete hives.
    De Colores,
    Ken

It will take 6 to 8 weeks for the trap out and then several days to a week for them to rob out the old hive after the queen absconds.

With the trap out all that will be left is the old empty honey combs.

With a cut out (which will require removing some of the cinder block) nothing will be left.

For the old hive and frames that you bought the cocoons you are seeing are the remains of wax moth. They can do great damage to the wooden frames and boxes.

Use the old frames and boxes at your own risk. Ask whom ever you bought them from and ask what happened to the last colony. If the original hive died out due to AFB most likely so will the new colony, burn all of the woodenware. If the original hive starved out etc., then scrape the frames and boxes clean with your hive tool and put in new foundation and add your favorite flavor of bees.

G3

You should subscribe to a bee journal. The last issue of ABJ has an article about trapping out hives.