Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Going prices on 1lb jars?

8.00 a pound glass or plastic.
    Richard
    Carriage House Farm, North Bend, Ohio

Here in Chesterfield, VA I have been getting 7.00 per pint for the last couple of years but will probably go to $8.00 this year. I sell pints and quarts in Mason jars and most of my regulars return the jars when buying more honey.

I have just come back from a farmers market where I have been selling honey ( and seedlings and our own candles and Pecan Nuts) for a good while.
    We sell our Raw Honey for $ 5.00 ( Australian) for 500 g ( 10% more then a lb) and a kg for $ 9.00. The honey is in glass jars and we give a dollar for every jar returned. It helps the repeat trade.
    There is another beekeeper there and he sells his honey for $ 7.00 for a kg and drops the price to $ 6.00 if the trade is slow.

Been selling 3 lb. (quart jars) for $12.00 for the last two years at the local Farmers Market. Must be to cheap or two good, i'm sold out before the first of the year. Jack

What I've seen from local people at farmers markets and the health food store is 7-8 a pound for liquid honey, some charge more for the dark buckwheat honey. $10-12 for a pound of raw or cut comb.

Quote Originally Posted by brooksbeefarm View Post
    Been selling 3 lb. (quart jars) for $12.00 for the last two years at the local Farmers Market.
    Jack, you are sold out because that seems like a fair price. Sorry, I am not into trying to gouge the poor to where only the rich can afford good honey. $12.00 for a quart jar is what I intend to charge and $6.25 for a pint [for those who can't afford a quart in their budget] to cover the extra cost of 2 pints vs. 1 quart jar. It just seems to me that we go further with a fair price, better product, then we can easily get retail price instead of having to end up selling our product to broker who will then mix our product with that Chinese crap they sell for honey. Just my opinion, and of course you all know that I am very opinionated.

A laborer is entitle to a fair wage, farmer is entitled for a fair amount for his product, and the beekeeper is entitled for a fair amount for his local product. But, I am not into gouging [sp.?] my friends and neighbors. I want them to benefit from my effort to deliver a superior product. We need to be careful least we consume one another.

Kindest Regards
    Danny
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776

We have people choping at the bit from our church, neighbors, the feed store ...all to buy LOCAL honey. People have heard its better. They believe the effects on allergies, etc.. The guy at the feed store said there was an older gentleman that used to sell them honey but he died and no one picked up the trade. They were very excited! My wife just innocently posted to facebook last year that her husband was crushing honey out of comb from our hives, she received over 20 messages on how to purchase our honey. I am going to be selling mine for $6 pint and $12 a quart.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson

Same here -- I had no intention of selling honey, but everyone from my doctor to my students' parents have asked me to "Put my name on your call list" when honey comes in. Heck: I don't even have a "call list"! Guess I'd better make one.

I get people asking to buy too. I try and explain to them that I don't even know if I'm going to get honey for me this year and I'm playing this game so I can have bees not so I can sell honey.

Quote Originally Posted by bigevilgrape View Post
    I get people asking to buy too. I try and explain to them that I don't even know if I'm going to get honey for me this year and I'm playing this game so I can have bees not so I can sell honey.
    Completely with you on this one: my brother works the garden (Mr. Green Thumb, himself!) and I work the hives.... honey is a secondary thing for us.

Quote Originally Posted by markmaster View Post
    Completely with you on this one: my brother works the garden (Mr. Green Thumb, himself!) and I work the hives.... honey is a secondary thing for us.
    Consider this: The sale of honey can cover the cost of your bee equipment, and perhaps help purchase seed for the garden for next year.
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Good point -- guess I'll order those labels, after all!

Getting $7 for 1 Lb and $13 for 2 Lb jars whether plastic or glass, I give 50 cents off for glass jars returned it doesn't save me any money but like to recycle them.

I get $4 per 1lb. plastic bottle. at our local farmers market and at work. there are a couple of local guys who keep the price too low. I wish I could get what some of you are getting!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12