Hybrid View

Question Going prices on 1lb jars?

Whats everyone getting on average for light honey 1lb jars these day?
    Was thinking $8 ?
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

Default Re: Going prices on 1lb jars?

Retail here is $5-$7

Quote Originally Posted by MAXANT View Post
    Whats everyone getting on average for light honey 1lb jars these day?
    Was thinking $8 ?
    I'll gladly sell them to you for $7.00. Then you can make a dollar on each one.

I wholesale 12 pack ones for $36.60/ case, which is $3.05 /jar..
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

When selling at retail, don't sell it too cheap. That hurts all beekeepers.
    My I suggest checking price at few "local" markets, and if yours is BETTER add 25 or 50 cents.

Both Bee Culture and ABJ have price reports by Region. Hopefully, you have a subscription to one or the other, or both. That's a place to start. In your area (retail) $2.50-$5.50.

Sell my 1 lbs gallberry for $6 and add a dollar for 1 pound chunk honey.

My dark honey is $6, the light seems to have a higher value. Wanted to get a feel for what you all are getting for yours.
    I have to make up for all the great deals I give on our machinery through honey sales
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

$6 here

$5.00 light or dark, $7.00 for Raw

My wifes getting $10 for hers.
    Dan

I have just come back from a farmers market where I have been selling honey ( and seedlings and our own candles and Pecan Nuts) for a good while.
    We sell our Raw Honey for $ 5.00 ( Australian) for 500 g ( 10% more then a lb) and a kg for $ 9.00. The honey is in glass jars and we give a dollar for every jar returned. It helps the repeat trade.
    There is another beekeeper there and he sells his honey for $ 7.00 for a kg and drops the price to $ 6.00 if the trade is slow.

Been selling 3 lb. (quart jars) for $12.00 for the last two years at the local Farmers Market. Must be to cheap or two good, i'm sold out before the first of the year. Jack

Quote Originally Posted by brooksbeefarm View Post
    Been selling 3 lb. (quart jars) for $12.00 for the last two years at the local Farmers Market.
    Jack, you are sold out because that seems like a fair price. Sorry, I am not into trying to gouge the poor to where only the rich can afford good honey. $12.00 for a quart jar is what I intend to charge and $6.25 for a pint [for those who can't afford a quart in their budget] to cover the extra cost of 2 pints vs. 1 quart jar. It just seems to me that we go further with a fair price, better product, then we can easily get retail price instead of having to end up selling our product to broker who will then mix our product with that Chinese crap they sell for honey. Just my opinion, and of course you all know that I am very opinionated.

A laborer is entitle to a fair wage, farmer is entitled for a fair amount for his product, and the beekeeper is entitled for a fair amount for his local product. But, I am not into gouging [sp.?] my friends and neighbors. I want them to benefit from my effort to deliver a superior product. We need to be careful least we consume one another.

Kindest Regards
    Danny
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776

We have people choping at the bit from our church, neighbors, the feed store ...all to buy LOCAL honey. People have heard its better. They believe the effects on allergies, etc.. The guy at the feed store said there was an older gentleman that used to sell them honey but he died and no one picked up the trade. They were very excited! My wife just innocently posted to facebook last year that her husband was crushing honey out of comb from our hives, she received over 20 messages on how to purchase our honey. I am going to be selling mine for $6 pint and $12 a quart.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson

Same here -- I had no intention of selling honey, but everyone from my doctor to my students' parents have asked me to "Put my name on your call list" when honey comes in. Heck: I don't even have a "call list"! Guess I'd better make one.