Default hello from kalamazoo

Hiya, I'm new, gonna give this beekeeping thing a try, seems like it combines alot of my favorite subjects, biology, construction, natural things, the outdoors and all that jazz. Would like to try mead making as i've done a lot of homebrewing. So i'll be around.

Default Re: hello from kalamazoo

Hello and welcome!

There's a lot of good info here about bees & beekeeping. Be sure to check out the "How to Start Beekeeping" subforum which contains threads on basic topics needed to get started.

Also, get involved with a local beekeeping club. Clubs often offer beginning beekeeping classes, and are great places to find mentors and get connected with local beekeepers. There's a local club right there in Kalamazoo:
    http://www.michiganbeekeepers.com/ma...d=27&Itemid=30

Thanks for the welcome! I've already been absorbing tons and tons of info, I think experience is going to be whatll bring it all together. Im going to try to do some things with the bee club here, getting involved locally makes alot of sense to me. Part of me is tempted to just try to go it alone and see how it works out, but the other part of me realizes i need to get out more. lol

If your talking about the Michigan Asso. Good luck with that. This is just my personal oppinion. I got nothing from that club. Do you know where you will get your bees? A guy in the Holland asso. makes a couple of trips down to Georgia in April and brings back 1000's of 3# packages for sale. They have to be ordered and prepaid for. They shake the bees, load the truck and drive straight through. They are very fresh and healthy

Big Grin Re: hello from kalamazoo

Hello Mike,
    Welcome to the forum. Lot's of great local info to be had in here. It's good to get started with people that have done that, tryed that, on all things related to beekeeping.
    Just to let you know, Michigan bee club and Kalamzoo bee club are really the same club. Every time I attend one seem's that someone is asking for $$.
    This stuff get's alot of my time as I'm now a bee junkie.

cool danno i'll keep that in mind, thanks for the heads up!