Default Yellow Jackets robbing

I went out this afternoon and found yellow jackets going in and out of hive (I had the reducer on with the wider entrance in use -- just turned to smaller entrance). I haven't been out for about 5 weeks, figuring they were ok -- we've had a warm snap (record 74 degrees yesterday -- hottest Nov. day ever recorded here). But the hive was quiet. I smashed about 20 yellow jackets, saw 2 or 3 honey bees.

Now what? It's supposed to freeze tonight -- can I cover with a sheet for 24 hrs?

Also -- bad sign? -- I didn't hear any humming from the hive. I didn't dare open it up with the yellow jackets all over, but they seem to be coming and going at leisure. I duct taped the small ventilation hole above the main entrance, which I had forgotten was there, the one on back was already taped. I have an upper entrance in my inner cover, but left it open for air.
    Last edited by Lutske; 11-07-2009 at 05:33 PM.

Default Re: Yellow Jackets robbing

I had the same issue, reduced the entrance and I stired them up a bit and made them mad. Since then, the YJ's try every once and a while to get in, but usually end up dead at the bottom below the hive. Go knock on the hive with your hive tool and then listen.....mine get ANGRY when I do that, BUT, I know they are there!!!
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

If you have your veil on and it's warm enough, I'd open it up. You'll know what to do. A healthy hive will take care of itself. Keep smashing the Yellow Jackets at the entrance. Maybe a sugar lure would deter them away so you can pick them off.
    Honey is the best thing ever discovered ! www.greenanything.net/honey-bees.php

Yellow jackets are tough customers for me in the fall. I'm always amazed at how many there are when the get going on a hive. In past years, I've reduced the entrance, blocked top entrances and set out those store bought traps. I've had days when hundreds of yellow jackets got caught in those traps but it never seemed to make a dent in their population. In my opinion, you need to do all of these things, including squashing them, if they've targeted a hive or hives. Strong bee populations sure help so it makes sense to manage your colonies carefully all summer. It seems that the colonies that have the most trouble with yellow jackets are the weakest colonies to begin with.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

If I remember correctly, there was a thread about keeping the thieves out by means of blocking the hive entrance completely. Someone blocked the entrance and drilled a hole in one of the upper brood supers for and entrance/exit. The intruders where fooled and the bees adapted to their new found exit.

My other suggestion would be to get a "Solid" hive entrance reducer and drill about 6 -1/4" holes in the center instead of a slot. The bees will be able to regulate who enters/exits by means of entering and exiting by themselves. Catching the intruders inside the holes will trap them for the Bee Police to take care of.
    Honey is the best thing ever discovered ! www.greenanything.net/honey-bees.php