Default forget tur-duk-en, I have a Purkey

I have big plans for our thinksgiving turkey. Picked up my pig from the butcher just over a week ago, put a dry cure on my pork belly. One week later I set up the cardboard box hot smoker (tender loin) and piped the smoke thru a dryer hose to my cold smoker.
    Long story short, after smoking my belly for 5 hours, it was time to take the skin off. Now I had a delimma, what to do with a cured smoked pig fat laden piece of pigskin..... Decision made, I will be be wraping a boneless/skinless turkey breast in the pig skin. The turkey will be stuffed with a mix of different mushrooms (bad news is I am out of morels)and some fersh herbs.

Well thats what I'm doing with my turkey, what are you doing with yours?

Default Re: forget tur-duk-en, I have a Purkey

Last night I dug a 3x3x3 hole and fired it with big pieces of dry live oak. Later this morning the stuffed turkey wrapped in tinfoil wet burlap & chicken wire will be buried in hot coals and rocks and covered with soil for about 4 hours.
    In the old country it's called the "sheep thief" method. Happy Thanksgiving!

Didn't I read somewhere warnings about cooking wire wrapped foods due to heavy metal fumes?
    Of course I still use 30 year old galvanized pipes in my honey room so who am I to speak?

Put four 10lb Boston Butts on the smoker last night at 12:00AM. Then at 3:00AM added two large free range Turkeys we raised. At 6:00AM added a couple of large free range chickens from my brothers farm. Noon time today we were serving dinner.
    Wishing all a Happy Thanksgiving.