Thread: Wick Sizes?

Default Wick Sizes?

I have several of the Candle flex molds and wanted to know what have people found to be the best wick size in the tapers and pillars. I have been using 2/0 in the tapers an they tend to drip a lot more than I expected.

Thanks in advance
    Jeff

Default Re: Wick Sizes?

I've been using #2 sqaure braided from Betterbee and have had good luck with them. I'm currently doing a test burn of a recent batch of 10" taper from metal molds. I've got about 4 1/2 inches of candle left not counting whats in the holder and it's been burning for a total of 5 1/2 hours.

I believe 2/0 wicking is good for up to 2" diameter candles. IIRC, 2/0 is a common wicking for most tapers or small pillars or dipped candles. But if it burns faster than you like, you can always use a smaller wicking. If the candle 'tunnels' as it burns, you know your wicking is too small.

We use the wick sizes recommended in the Mann Lake catalog for each mold. Different size molds require different size wicks.

Jeff, we use 3/0 in our 3/4" tapers and they burn really nicely. No drips and well over an hour per inch.
    Sheri