Thread: Ohio newbee

Default Ohio newbee

After research and planning and cold feet and a lot of thought, I finally decided to take the plunge and set up a hive. (My husband is being extremely generous for going along with my latest hair-brained plan, so I thought I'd better stick to just one hive for the time being.) We're in NW Ohio, and currently we're just in the gathering-equipment phase and plan to actually get bees next spring.

I'm not completely new to bees, since I can't remember a time growing up when my dad didn't have a couple of hives out back of the barn. The first time I got stung, I was five years old and "helping" dad after he worked the hives. Apparently a straggler wasn't too happy with my help, so it stung me right on top of the head! (Even after that less-than-wonderful introduction to honey bees, I still want to get into this!) I also remember the time a swarm found its way to the maple tree in our front yard...while my mom was sunbathing and my sister & I were playing nearby. I was really young, but I remember bees EVERYWHERE. Dad came home from work early that day and cut them out of the tree. At the time I thought he just heroicly "knew" to come home and save us, but looking back, I remember how mad Mom was, and I suppose he really didn't have a choice.

I look forward to talking with you all in the forums!

Default Re: Ohio newbee

Welcom aboard. I see your in Nepoleon, I'am in Findlay. I started out about 6 years ago, what a learning curve, one which just won't stop. The little critters and their wo's keep throwing curve balls! One very interesting hobby!!
    May I suggest "QueenRight" in Spencer, OH as an excellent supplier, a wife & husband team, knowledgeable, frendly and competative pricing. They have a web-site. Spencer is west of Medina/Lodi area, about a 2 hr.drive for me.
    Good luck

Hello and Welcome!

I spent some time in NW Ohio many years ago when I went to college in Ada. I believe you'll find this forum a good resource for learning more about bees and beekeeping. Be sure to check out the "How to Start Beekeeping" sub-forum: it contains a lot of good info.

I recommend getting involved with a local beekeeping club. Clubs often offer beginning beekeeping classes, and are great places to find mentors. There are a couple clubs near you: the NW Ohio beekeepers are just to the south of you, and the Maumee Valley beeks to the north. Check them out and see which works best for you:
    http://www.ohiostatebeekeepers.org/R...untyclubs.html

Tim Arheit ("tarheit" on this forum) is in Lima at Honey Run Apiaries:
    http://www.honeyrunapiaries.com/
    You may want to consider him as a source for bees & supplies.

Best of luck,
    Indy

Hello Zookeeper,
    It's November. If I were you, I might consider placing my order for bees now instead of waiting until the Spring. (The bees won't be delivered now, but will be delivered probably mid-May. Most bee suppliers get swamped with orders in the Spring, so ordering early is helpful, I've found.)
    Since this is your first bee experience "in awhile", I'd suggest you start with a nuc instead of a package. But whether you get a nuc or a package PLEASE buy local bees. You have no idea what an advantage it is to have local bees from a local supplier.
    And, if next year is anything like last year, in addition to equipment for one hive, I would buy equipment for at least two.

Thanks to everybody for your suggestions, all of which gave me a lot to think about. I can already see that the forums are going to be very beneficial!

If you have your hive equipment ready. I can fill your hives with bee this fall. I have 150 hives I still have to shake out in your area. Just PM if your interested.
    Thanks,
    Ron Householder