Default Missouri Swarm - November (?)

I didn't really believe the lady when she called and said there was a swarm on the side of the building. Here it is, November 2nd.

"Oh, yeah," she said enthusiastically, "and they've been there a week. We sure don't want to kill them, what with the shortage of bees, and the like."

I'm trying to invision a hornet or yellow jacket nest in the brick work with about a dozen bees milling around the crack in the mortar. But I was on my way to lunch so I thought I'd drive over and take a look.

Well, I was surprised! Yes, they were honeybees and it looked to be about four or five pounds of bees (trying to equate this circle on the brick wall to a package of bees). The circle is actually oval, about 18" in diameter at the widest part by 12" at the narrowest, and about three or four bees deep).

Lots of bees flying today with temps pushing the upper 60's. Our last week's temps ranged from highs in the lower 60's to lows in the lower 30's. We had frost on Halloween night.

So I'm off later today to vac them up and knock them into a weak hive with some stores(another late swarm from August that just never caught on).

Any ideas why these bees are swarming so late?

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Default Re: Missouri Swarm - November (?)

I dont know, but in Minden Nevada a week from last Thursday I went and picked up a smaller swarm 2-3 lbs that had been sitting on a sidewalk under an old apple tree.

I was expecting it to be gone before I arrived that night, however the home placed a cardboard box next to them and they crawled in and formed a ball in the upper corner.

I believe you. I got a call Friday morning from a guy calling me from work that said he was certain he had a ball of honeybees under his front porch the evening before. I went out and found his wife who described "an amazing cloud of bees rolling around on the ground the day before that made the sidewalk look like it was moving." She said it was very impressive. It must've been because her teenage son wouldn't come out of the house even when she told them the bees were gone. We saw several stranglers hanging around so I'm sure she wasn't pulling my leg. I just wish she would've taken a picture of it or called the evening before instead of having her husband call the next morning.
    Buzzin' Berries Honey
    Sweet to the Soul

Grant, could it be absconding due to starvation? I know my area has been terrible for flow all year. Kept getting rained out. I'm not sure how the weather your direction has been but I can't imagine it being much different. I've been feeding for a few months now, or I know I would have lost most of my eight hives. I'm seriously not sure how this would be less expensive than buying new packages next spring. If I didn't want a reasonable harvest next year I would have let mine go by now. Anyway, that would be my guess.
    Charla Hinkle

Got a swarm today in Southern California was about 4-5lbs.

It went in a bird house yesterday and there was a little comb they started building so I just grabbed the bird house took it to my bee yard got a frame of brood and put in a nuc with other foundation frames and shook em in there.

Sadly there were also 3 dead birds that came out when I shook the bees in my nuc. I don't know if they were killed by the bees or they were there for awhile already they looked kind of old.