Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Propolis in Propylene Glycol Base

9K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  sss 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I have a question: Propolis in Propylene Glycol Base is sold in the country, despite that Propylene Glycol is proven to cause severe health problems! Do you know why this is allowed? I bought a tincture by Comvita of Propolis in Propylene Glycol and i am now very worried whether to take it at all, because Propylene Glycol is very very dangerous! Your comments are highly appreciated. SSS

#2 ·
Propylene glycol is used in many products that we use and eat. It is used as an annti-freeze ingredient in liquid type products. Check the labels of shampoo, tooth past, make up, hand lotions, etc.

I can not advise you to take it or not take it. Just look around at the ingredient labels on some of the products around the house and you might just be surprised.

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/p6928.htm

Here is a msds sheet that will tell all about it.

G3

#3 ·
Hi and thnaks for the reply. I am aware of the wide usage of propylene glycol. The wide usage does not make it good, it just shows that producers pick the cheapest option available, even if it is extremely harmful. So my question to honey and propolis producers is why do you produce propolis tincture in a propylene glycol base given the awareness of its harm? Why is it sold as an immunostimulator? What are the health issues? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.