Default Dead hive-help appreciated

I was wrapping my three hives today, 2 langstroth, 1 TBH. When I opened the hive top feeder on one of the langstroths is saw several yellow jackets come up from the hive into the mesh and I knew it was dead. It was a new packeage (Italian) hived this spring into a hive with existing comb from a colony that died out last winter.

There was piles and piles of deadbees throughout the hive and wax moths and waxmoth damage throughout. It has not been near cold enough this fall to kill and I have been feeding them. I haven't been in the hive in several weeks.

As of several weeks ago it was (seemingly) thriving. It was taking fall-feeding syrup and was well populated. It did not produce any honey for me this summer and was light on stores at the end of the summer as were my other 2 hives. I been feeding 2-1 syrup since mid September.

Any thoughts? How should I proceed?

Thanks for any advice or guidance.

Default Re: Dead hive-help appreciated

was there still sealed brood?

Quote Originally Posted by Tern View Post
    It was a new packeage (Italian) hived this spring into a hive with existing comb from a colony that died out last winter.
    This would make me suspicious, and would consider removing the wax and scorching or otherwise sterilizing the wood, and start over with that hive this spring.

No sealed brood. A very occassional singel capped cell on each frame - maybe 10?

A very good description of my lost hive, that was doing good a week ago, with a good amount of honey, and appearing to be packing in more. Went to it, found about two inches of dead bees in the bottom of the hive, no live bees no pest (moths, larvae, beetles) only what looked like perfectly healthy bees except all dead, and some gnats. Just a week before I had checked, and thought it looked fine for winter, and appeared to be heavy with winter stores. I found it with about a 2 inch layer of dead bees on the bottom of hive, the bottom deep, and two medium supers very, very clean, with just a sprinkling of cells with a very thin capp, and appearing to be empty just a very few cells, some (very few) with a little pollen in them, and a lot of cells with an adult bee in them head first, and most all cells empty, and very clean. This hive was siting next to (about 2 feet away from) a very active hive which has always been very defensive (I sometimes wonder if it is mixed with africans), to the point I have not been able to manage it as I should have. The hive that dies was very docile, and did very good for me the first year, starting out being very weak last spring, and building very good . For my first experience at beekeeping, with two hives, that I thought till last week were doing great, it was a big disapointment. At first I thought I had starved them to death, but then after thinking, when I went in the week before, I thought they were in good shape, and even wondered why all the talk of feeding them, because it appeared they were well prepared for winter. I now am worried about keeping my remaining hive alive, till spring, so I can start splitting it. It appears as if it is very well supplied with honey, do I need to feed this remaining hive?

Do you have mite counts from this dead-out?
    When did they indicate a "growing problem"?