Thumbs Up Big Bad Bear story!!

Hey everyone,

Well Saturday night at 4:00am my dog went crazy at the sliding glass door in my house. I got up looked out and did not see a thing so I thought it must have been a cat and went back to bed. A short time later I hear a bump and get up and look out, my hive is knocked over and a black bear and cub are standing there looking at me. The hive is in my back yard up a incline on a stand and the bump was from one of the Brood boxes rolling down the hill and into my deck. So I rip open the back door yelling at the bears, threw on some clothes and grabbed my dog and ran out to save the hive. My dog raised a bunch of hell with them and had them up a tree so i went and put everything back together. No damage just about fifty bee's on the ground and everything went back together just fine. So now I turn my attention to the bears and my dog, my dog was so amped up she took off so now it's me and the bears. They stayed up the tree for about ten mins and came down and went into the woods nice and peaceful. No sign of my dog and it is hard to hear because of the wind and **** cold. So I go in for about 5 minutes and come back out to see the bears at the top of my yard, i run up the hill yelling and they go away for the rest of the night. My dog turns up Saturday evening exhausted from running her brains out.

It was interesting to see the bears, I only wish I had seen them before they knocked over my hive. Thought everyone might enjoy this story.

Scott..

Default Re: Big Bad Bear story!!

They will probably be back. This time of year they are trying to put on as much fat as possible and to a bear a hive is like fast food. It may be time to put up some kind of electric barrier if you do hang a few peices of bacon on it when they try to get the bacon WHACK! They will leave post hast and go find easier pickings.

Seems to me like you caught them in the act of attacking you and your property, and it is time to send them to the happy hunting grounds, or preferrably rock salt in a shotgun. Wild animals that will so easily come into your yard, that close to your house, have lost their fear of man, and need an education about who is the top dog.
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776

Seriously I hope I never experience what you did.

On the lighter side, where was Goldilocks and Papa Bear when Mama Bear and Baby Bear came a visitin.

If and when they come back there will be quite a bit more noise then me yelling and a dog barking.

Speaking of rock salt for a shotgun, where do you get those type of shells? Or do you make them yourself from shotgun shells?

Thanks everyone,

Scott..

You have to load the salt shells yourself. Use lead-it is more effective!

Quote Originally Posted by Ncdude View Post
    Speaking of rock salt for a shotgun, where do you get those type of shells? Or do you make them yourself from shotgun shells?
    Check around at a gun shop, not sure if they still make them. You might try to get someone who reloads (contact local gun club) to make you some. I have a black powder shotgun, so I just load it instead of the lead, but it is very corrosive so be sure to clean up good afterwards.
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776

Forget the salt and the shot and go with a solid lead slug. hey, free bear meat and a bear skin rug.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

OR you could use bottle rockets. They are loud and sting, just a little hard to aim. Of course rock salt shotshells will get the point across well too. Having your hind quarters pelted by a shotgun blast of rock salt really stings. I know this personally. Seems like the burning never stops. I mean I wasn't going to take those oranges, my friends were.
    Rohe Bee Ranch "Free Range Bees"
    http://www.rohebeeranch.com

You need to get a fence... not sure if solar will work for you, but I think they are wonderful. Beats getting up in the am and losing sleep. The ladies will thank you as well.
    "Where wisdom is called for, force is of little use."
    Herodotus (circa 485-425 BC), Greek Historian

Quote Originally Posted by DRUR View Post
    have lost their fear of man,
    The way people (maybe I should say Tourists) in the Smoky Mountains treat bears like cute cuddly pets the fear of man has been trained out of them.

You stopped to put on your close? Maybe you would have done a better job of scaring them if you hadn't.

I'm glad that the mother bear didn't take after you. Be more careful next time. Bees are more easily replaced than any part of you that the bear might bite into.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Last year about this time I lost my Top Bar hive to a Black Bear. I started it as an experiment from a swarm I'd caught in July. They were doing well and I was leaving them all their honey for the winter. That bear was to my house about 6 more times before he gave up. The night right after he took out the top bar hive, he got my bird feeder with about 5 lbs of sunflower seeds. My wife, 4 year old daughter and I watched him from 2 feet away behind the 1/8 inch of glass in the picture window on my front porch. He was funny! He was sitting down licking up all the seeds that he knocked over. They that got to tiring for him and he just lay down to finish the job. Quite a sight! To think I live in NJ too! I built a fence around the yard this summer (no electric) and last night he got my other bird feeder! They will be coming inat night now.

Fat Nancy
    \"Bee Healthy, Eat Your Honey\"