Default Reading Glasses or Magnifying Glass

My dad wants to get more involved with my bees, but due to diabetes he doesn’t see very well. I was wondering if reading glasses or magnifying glass would help him in the hive. Or if there is something else that would help him, please let me know.

Default Re: Reading Glasses or Magnifying Glass

I'm going to pack a large magnifying glass in the bee tool kit next year. I'll have to somehow grow a third hand to hold it.

Even with my prescription reading glasses, I did not see a single egg in the brood boxes this year. I know they were there unless my clever queen learned how to pop out larvae.

Wayne

Head strap magnifiers work well and flip up out of the way.
    There is one here:
    http://grizzley.com/products/Magni-F...-w-Light/H1131
    and a cheaper version here:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38896

I don't know how well they would work with a veil though.

They work with a veil. I have one like the second one it works good. Got it for grafting. The only thing about a veil is you can't flip them up with the veil on. The one I have has a light on the sides it is good for grafting in the shade.

Reading glasses help a lot. What you are trying to see is about the distance you read.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I wear prescription reading glasses in real life.
    In my bee toolkit I keep cheap store "readers" at about .5 above the prescription glasses (got the readers at the drugstore)
    they make a huge difference in my ability to see eggs, particularly when the light is dim - and I don't have to worry about breaking/scratching my "good" glasses
    Erin Forbes, EAS Master Beekeeper
    overlandhoney.com

I use reading glasses and I have a small magnifying glass too. The only time my glasses slip is when its super hot outside and they slide off. But your dad will be fine with them!
    "When you see a honey bee in your yard, thank a beekeeper!"

We also use drug store readers when looking for eggs. 1.5X power
    Dan

I recently observed as a newbee inspected his frames and realized he could not see what he wanted. So he went and grabbed a nice magnifing glass. Well, I continued watching as he dutifully stood with the sun to his back focusing the sunlight on the comb. I chuckled for a moment or two before I asked him just how many bees he intended upon cooking. There was a plume of smoke coming from the wax as he moved
    the frame around.

Fuzzy

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I recently observed as a newbee inspected his frames and realized he could not see what he wanted. So he went and grabbed a nice magnifing glass. Well, I continued watching as he dutifully stood with the sun to his back focusing the sunlight on the comb. I chuckled for a moment or two before I asked him just how many bees he intended upon cooking. There was a plume of smoke coming from the wax as he moved
    the frame around.

Fuzzy
    That's the vision I had when reading about a magnifying glass! Not really funny, but it wouldn't take much solar power to burn some bees/larvae up. Took me back to days as a little kid incinerating ants with a lens.