Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is Anyone Consuming Propolis?

I was wondering if anyone in here is consuming propolis? Are you using your own? For what reasons and in what quantities? Raw or other?

Thx
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Default Re: Is Anyone Consuming Propolis?

Yes.
    Yes.
    I use it for sore throats and the like. I can't use it topically as it causes a rash for me, however, my girlfriend does. Most recently she used it on an infected ear piercing.
    I process it into a tincture.

Cool...thanks!
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Yes, I use propolis as often and as generously as required, but not as a matter of habit like one's daily vitamin pill. I commenced using it in 1975 when a booklet arrived in my hand describing how useful it was, and how the Russians (very bad people in those days!) were singing its praises. Not a month thereafter, a daughter was born and came home from hospital with a staff infection.

OK, we used propolis straight from my hives. We chewed it like gum, especially the nursing mother. Several of us also broke out in lesions, but within days the propolis kicked in and eventually all were well and clean again. We rubbed the propolis rich saliva on the skin too. No proprietary drugs were used during that time.

Nowadays, I find it simply all too easy to get it from the health food store, as it comes in myriad forms. I like the atomiser pack that one simply sprays on a burn, cut or lesion and it stops any infection in its tracks, actually forming a thin skin-like protective coating on the sprayed area. The capsules of granulated propolis I use for colds, flu and sore throat, but seldom get those maladies anyway. I use the propolis salve on sunburn and skin lesions of every description including those that smack of skin cancers, or would probably develop into such. I haven't tried the propolis toothpaste, but find the lemon, honey and propolis lozenges pretty easy to hand out to friends with a sore throat. Yes, I am aware that precious little to no honey goes into them.

In 1975 I mixed it with gluten and powdered sugar, rubbing it together when it was warm. I rolled this thin, cut it in little discs about the size of my thumbnail, maybe 2 or 3 mm thick. All wrapped like Life Savers, and in the fridge, the kids found them and seeing as we deprived them of chewing gum, they used the propolis tabs for the pleasure thereof. I do believe they overdid it, and I quite making it available, but can't just remember what symptoms made me think they were getting too much. They certainly were not poisoned by it, nor did they have allergic reactions or require hospitalisation. It is potent stuff, though, so I suspect overdosing or constant use could lead to some sterilization of the gut, which would not be a good thing. Used topically, I don’t think one would ever be at a risk of over exposure, but everyone is different, so just ease into it.

I have not had oral antibiotics except propolis since then either, and now that daughter is rearing her children by the same methods.

Propolis is like the honey Joe Traynor mentioned in his book, "HONEY - The Gourmet Medicine," it is a medicine without a profit.

So what is the worst case scenario that might eventuate if you run the risk and us the propolis? Well, you might die. But then, what is the worst case scenario if you run the risk and take proprietary anti-biotics? You might die. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you are going to die anyway, it is just the timing thereof that is uncertain.

Grab any propolis you can find, start using it, and keep a level head about it. I have saved a fortune in medical cost and enjoy better health than my peers. Once you have learned how to use propolis you will have a whole new fascination for honey, royal jelly, beeswax and bee venom. Everything from the bee hive is a wondrous product!

Propolis enhances the immune system development, encouraging and helping one's own natural defences to develop. People are alarmed when I say I have no fear of Swine Flu and ask me what makes me think I am immune. I tell them I have a strong immune system. I have faith in my body's ability to deal with it.

Cheers,

JohnS

Wife and I use Tom's Natural toothpaste that contains Propolis. Wasn't one of the things that made us decide to use it, it's what it didn't have. I was surprised when I saw that it contained Propolis. Made me even more interested in their products. Never used my own. Hate it when I get it all over my hands as it's a pain to get it off.

Does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the bed post overnight?

I use my own propolis for chewing gum but don't know if I consume very much. Mine gets hard as a rock in cool weather so I never would put it in the fridge.

I collect and dissolve it in cognac for use against sore throat.
    A SMALL "shot" of cognac infused with propolis with a honey/lemon/hot water chaser is all I need to get me right again if I'm feeling a little flu-ish.

Maybe the healing results are psychosomatic, but I don't believe it for a second.
    Erin Forbes, EAS Master Beekeeper
    overlandhoney.com

Aaaah, cognac and propolis mixture. This sounds like my kind of medicine.

Ironically, it is the act of 'believing' in any medicine that swings it away from being poisonous to being medicinal!

So if it works, it is certainly inexpensive, and side effects are rare, and it's natural, and it's abundant, and local and and and and.

Cheers,

Johns

I'd been buying it and using , for mold/yeast issues and it helps. And I don't get sick with that and other herbs. I got bees mostly for the propolis and pollen.

I did try chewing some like gum, and it was great for about 5 minutes. And then it turned into this horrid gummy stuff that I could not get off my teeth. I tried wiping it off with my finger and then nothing would get it off my finger either. Yikes!

Lately I mix it with vodka, drink the liquid and throw the gummy stuff out. Scared of that.

Yes. I chew my own occasionally. Sometimes it is too gummy, other times it is just right.
    I also take propolis capsules daily. They are available from the same companies that will buy your propolis scrapings: Bee Botanicals and C.C. Pollen to name two. They advertise in ABJ Maybe BC also, but I don't remember.
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!

I think I would like to see some tests on propolis only because of the speaker I heard at the North Carolina state Bee Meeting on pollen

Roger Simonds Gastonia testing lab
    The Gastonia lab was / is a lab that tests fruits and vegetables and has started doing testing on everything from the bee world. They are government run and therefore the rates are lower then a private lab and anyone can send samples in to be tested. It was still over a $100 for one sample to be tested, but one test covered over 100 pesticides. This lab has been doing a lot of testing for the studies being done by the universities and he received permission to release data on a summarized basis. One note he mentioned twice is that if you are taking pollen as a dietary supplement you may want to have your source tested as that was the most contaminated product he had ever seen.
    Just some thoughts.

Yeah, SKI, that is the way of it when you deal with governmental agencies. They have no programs for being positive, they only focus on problems, yesterday's, at that.

So it is the pollen that is bad aye? It isn't the pesticide they themselves are promoting?

The only forward focus governmental types have is that one day (if they kowtow long enough) they too may be able to rule the world.

Anything that comes out of governments is coming out of the wrong end of them.

Cheers, and good luck with your swine flu injections,

JohnS

I agree with John Smith. it cant be as bad as the junk they put in all those shots. my family doesn't take flue shots. We are using the honey we harvested to help with colds. It scares me to think about all the junk it the shots i had to take this year. My wife and i are adopting a baby boy from ethiopia and we had to get a bunch of shots for the trip over there.

I for one will trust a lab geek when he says something is bad, no politics involved.
    However, yes its most likely bad because of the chemicals that the bees are collecting from the plants that have been treated by the chemicals that the humans put there, the government does not make us do anything other then pay taxes.
    As I understand it the swine flu is world wide and its up to each individual to get a flu shot IF we want one.
    Just some thoughts.

I drop all of mine into a tall, narrow jar filled with grain alcohol. Once it settles, I skim off the clear tincture and put it into dropper bottles I buy at the local health food store.

I buy demerara (natural) sugar cubes online, which I line up on aluminum foil, thoroughly drench with the above propolis tincture, then let them sit for a few days for the alcohol to evaporate. Once they're dry, I pop them in my mouth every morning for a solid dose of (very tasty) propolis.

Try it. I think you'll like it!

-Pete
    Southeast PA - 7 colonies, local mutts on natural comb, TF
    George Imirie's INDEXED Pink Pages: http://goo.gl/WiZUH3

I use a propolis tenture which is made by grinding up propolis in a coffee grinder after being stored in the freezer (to make it brittle) then with a container fill 1/3 full with propolis powder I add 100%ethyl alcohol to 3/4 full (151 bacardi rum will work too). I allow it to steep for at least 2 weeks but the longer the better. 5 drops of tinture in a glass of water and down it.

I have also sucked on gobs of raw propolis from gobs of prop I collected in the fall. I'm talking about those glissening red almost pure gobs that bees keep adding to the inner cover hole. Raw prop is good at getting rid of a cold or flu and tooth aches.

The tinture can be added to a beeswax/olive oil based ointment to make propolis ointment which is good for cuts, burns, bites, to just about anything else that happens to skin.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

Are there any scientific studies out there on WHY propolis helps colds, flu, and skin irritations?

Don't eat propolis, but I smoke it.
    Resin insence that is.
    Jar is propolis, bag is frankinsence.
    Charcoal discs are cheap.
    I found some cheap ceramic ramikins, so
    this is my cheap gifts this holiday.
    Last edited by southeastflorida; 12-08-2010 at 06:44 PM.
    acrylic projects picture blog
    http://plasticsjournal.livejournal.com/

Propolis (and honey) is anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial. Propolis is rich in vitamins, minerals and amino acids. It is anti-inflammatory and promotes healing, tissue regeneration, excellent source of energy in addition to fighting infections, cancer, mouth/dental issues, flu, ulcers, pneumonia, arthritis, Parkinson's, sclerosis, burns, acne, sunburn, shingles, respiratory, wounds, etc. etc.

Good for internal or external use. Using propolis helps prevent/treat flu and other viral issues (herpes). Taken orally, propolis enters the blood stream and travels throughout the body.

It is said to take royal jelly, propolis and pollen together to receive the benefits of these three things and also, cause a fourth healing factor to be activated. In other words, the benefit is more than the sum of its parts.

Gleanings from the book: Bee Pollen, Royal Jelly, Propolis and Honey by Rita Elkins, M.H.........
    This booklet is 58 pages and the size of a Reader's Digest but thinner. Inexpensive.

For health, take bee pollen, royal jelly, propolis and honey. It does a body good.