Question Dead bees at the entrance?

First year beekeeper here with a question for you more experience bee wranglers.

We're finally in fall weather here -- with daytime temps in the 50s, and nighttime lows dipping in the 30s...so the question is...is it natural to find some dead bees at the entrance this time of year?

I believe the colony's mortician bees are dragging them out and putting them on the stoop. Found 12 the other day when it was cool, and a couple more today.

This is an Italian hive -- screened bottom board in use, entrance reducer at smallest opening -- and this hive is jam packed with bees.

Is it natural for some of the colony to be dying out now to thin out for winter?

All help appreciated!
    "When you see a honey bee in your yard, thank a beekeeper!"

Default Re: Dead bees at the entrance?

Everything I've read says that this is standard housekeeping by the bees at this time of year. Nothing to worry about.

Normal....
    De Colores,
    Ken

Can be normal. But keep a sharp eye. If you start to see pupae joining the dead adults, you've probably got a mite problem.

I learned this the hard way last year.

walking bird Wrote:
    If you start to see pupae joining the dead adults, you've probably got a mite problem.

Ski writes:
    It could be true but here in the triad area as may be true elsewhere we have been having a cold snap and pupae at the entrance could just mean that some brood got chilled and died and the bees are cleaning out the cells.
    But its always good to know what your mite count is as well.
    Just some thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski View Post
    Ski writes: but here in the triad area as may be true elsewhere we have been having a cold snap and pupae at the entrance could just mean that some brood got chilled and died and the bees are cleaning out the cells.
    Thanks guys for all the help! I appreciate it!

Hey Ski -- could you keep that cold air over your way -- or at least send some southern winds to my side of the Triad? BRRR...

YO NC, just got back into town after 5 days...same thing......UNTIL i saw 4 yellowjackets come waltzing out like they owned the joint....>I am SO not happy.........headed to handle this now!
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

Quote Originally Posted by devdog108 View Post
    YO NC, just got back into town after 5 days...same thing......UNTIL i saw 4 yellowjackets come waltzing out like they owned the joint....
    Brother, I found a fight underway when I went down yesterday and they were dragging out a wasp. I assume they stung it to death, it dropped under the stand and just laid there.

Let me know what happened when you got down there tonight.

OHHHHH Man, I donned the riot gear and went on up there, and man, there were YJ's coming and going as they pleased. I killed about 40 by hand. and set up a few dead ones on top of the hive and killed about 30 more with my hive tool The bees couldnt stop them, so it was like they were just letting them come and go. I threw on a reducer and then literally kinda made them mad on purpose. Let them have about a 4 in opening. They were all over them after that. Not a single one made it in and i watched them drag out 3.... Gonna watch some more tomorrow, set up a couple of YJ traps. I was STUNNED at how many were trying to get in. They won't tolerate it now!!! Now i need to check their stores.......jeez.....my poor babies....
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

I have noticed Bumble Bees trying to get in here too, but the girls are having none of it. I have two hives of Russians here on the coast. I have also noticed after work as the sun starts to set, 30 or so loaded with pollen all over the ground clinging to grass. It is like the just got too cold to make it back. I collected a bunch of them in a jar and brought them in to warm up. After they warmed up and wanted out of the jar I took them back out and let them loose, some went into the hive and other flew off and not sure if the came back or landed somewhere to die.