Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How did you find your beeyard?

I am expanding. Going beyond the home turf. An outyard is what I (think I) need. I would be very interested in reading other's experiences in getting permission from land owners to put bees on their property! Did you send them a letter? Did you run an ad? Did you just drive up the driveway and ask? Did you find a way NOT to ask permission? Don't most people just say NO!?
    Last edited by Barry; 10-19-2009 at 05:46 PM.

Default Re: How did you find your beeyard?

Just asked

just asked also, and followed up with some honey.

Ask the land owner in person. Scout an area ahead of time and look for proper forage. If you are told no, ask if they know of anywhere in the area that could be a possibility. When someone gives you permission they usually know of another location also. If they want cash payment and not honey that is usually the only reason they want the bees there(money) and will be trouble in the future. Many people want nothing and I always give people like that more.

I moved to N.Y. from Mass. so I talk funny up here, I have my buddy ask for me and I don't open my mouth until after they have said yes, we haven't been turned down yet.

mike syracuse

I hate to state the obvious but you ALL talk funny up there!!
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

knocked on doors, farmers market ( good source of local farmers ), local pumpkin zucchini farmer ( he lets me keep them there year round ) county extension. All have led to yards and some wild eyed no's

Bob

First, find out where the other yards are in the area. You don't want to move in on anyone...won't help you or them.
    Second, look at the honey plants in the area.
    Third, look for likely locations with good access.

Pick the best spot for the bees and you...and then ask.

I must be doing things wrong. I haven't asked anyone if I could keep bees on their land.

I let people know I keep bees, and I have people asking me if I would want to put hives on their place. I look at the best locations, and go from there. Right now, I have more good locations than bees.

I've always heard the easiest way to double your production in a garden is to have a hive of bees. Don't be afraid to mention that to gardeners, and then mention that you have bees.

The county extension office would be a good place - go to a soil and water conservation meeting and tell the farmers there you would like to find locaitons to keep bees. There is bound to be a few old time farmers who would enjoy having bees on their farm. They may have a small orchard they'd like bees to pollinate better too.

Do you attend a church, or a member of any social groups? Let people know you keep bees - someone in your church or social group is bound to be related to someone local with some land. I'm sure you can find a friend of a friend who would let you keep bees there.

I saw an ad on Craigslist asking for anyone that would be interested.

ive seen some people ask if a beek would set some hives on CL.

One of the (semi)large produce farms asked a local beek to set some hives on the property to help pollinate the garden. (plus fruit trees, berry plants etc)

Have asked and have been asked.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Most "real farmers" or landowners realize the benefits of HB's, and will be glad to allow placement. I have two Out yards, and about 15 perspective locations if I needed more. I went to the barber shop several months ago and mentioned I would like to place a colony on my cousins strawberry farm to see what Straw berry honey tasted like. He just about did a flip and begged me to bring all of my bee's over. Long story short, straw berry honey is good, (he grows many acres of berries) he called all his kin and now I have family and family friends telling me every time they see me they want bee's on their farm.
    Affordable bee equipment supplier. www.carmacksupply.com

I have folks wanting me to place bees all the time on their property. I am required by law (rightly so I believe) that I need their property legal discription to register as a 'legal' apiary with the state. I don't get that information and so can not set them there. No one so far has griped about it, they just don't give it to me. I have explained that state will let me know if there are other apiaries in the area (within three miles) so I can get written pemission from that beekeeper. This only applies to property other than mine...

Most of my yards on the ranches and farms around here the homeowners have contacted me first. Or the rancher or farmer where I have a yard or two has given me the contact number and usually introduced me to another rancher or farmer who heard about me from them and wants bees on their property. Word of mouth and how you treat those where you run your yards goes along way. I always take the time to talk to the land owner if he is out working when I work my bees. I always give them plenty of honey and extra if they request it. I also keep my yards neat and picked up, well fenced and respect the land owners property (ie closing gates back, not leaving any trash on scene). This pays off in new yards obtained in my area better then any advertising I could have bought. As a matter of fact I have yards already lined up for the next two years...I just can't expand fast enough.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne

Craigslist. Got easily a hundred replies, about 10 were good candidates, and I picked the best of them. Still using them.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Like Countryboy, farmers that need pollinators have contacted me. But if they aren’t knocking on the door. A face to face is a good way to cultivate a relationship.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

I was contacted by a truckfarmer this fall about putting 1 or 2 hives on their property next year. Might be a good trade they get pollination I get fresh veggies through the year.

I pay the mortgage payment on it EVERY month...LOLOL.....one day will build a house there....
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

I posted a handmade ad on the bulletin board at the local Giant Eagle grocery store. I simply stated that I was looking for locations to place 5 to 10 honey bee hives with easy pick-up truck access year round. I had more locations develop than I could use.

I still have the names and numbers of people that are interested if I decide to expand my hive numbers.
    Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Taken!