Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bee Vac Help

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Hambone 
#1 ·
I built a vac last weekend just like Iddee’s (see pics of his below) my problem is I don’t have any suction. I know my main problem is the the hose coming out of the vac is 1.25”, and my suction hose is 2”. So I am losing a lot of suction from that I guess. Do you think if I shorten the 1.25” hose to two feet or so that might solve it, or do I just need to get a bigger vac that has a 2” hose coming out of the vac with more HP. Below is the link to lowes on the vac I have.

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/Iddee/BEE VAC/

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=215727-20097-9300611&lpage=none

#5 ·
That was the problem. I forgot to turn it on. :p

I use the smallest shop vac you can buy, 1 1/4 HP I believe and still have way to much suction. You are probably losing it through air leakage. It's hard to tell from the pics is the top of your vac plexi or glass to seal it off?
I have a 2.5 hp vac. So maybe just get the smaller hose for the suction end. Don't think you need a bigger vac.
LOL I was typing and running out to the barn when the others were posting so I had to edit lol
THat SW comment was funny, I think you would have found leaks and closed up the vent suction control holes. Yea that sw comment is funny.
Mine has a migratory lid screwed down. I am going to caulk it all up real good and see what happens.

#4 ·
I have one of Iddee's boxes as well but I have 1.25 inch hoses on both ends. I bought adapters to fit the box and an extra hose, it seems to work just fine. I have a 2.5 hp vac. So maybe just get the smaller hose for the suction end. Don't think you need a bigger vac.
LOL I was typing and running out to the barn when the others were posting so I had to edit lol
THat SW comment was funny, I think you would have found leaks and closed up the vent suction control holes. Yea that sw comment is funny.

#7 ·
Size of the hose makes little difference, as to vaccum. Too small bang the bees up a bit.

Just fire up your smoker, buff smoke around the joints (connections), the box, etc. and see were you need to seal.

I built one (modified Bushkill Bee Vac). Used an old Hoover household vac. for parts with a variable speed motor mounted on the top :)woodware. For seals - between woodware- closed cell glued back window foam.

Hope this helps.

#9 ·
Just fire up your smoker, buff smoke around the joints (connections), the box, etc. and see were you need to seal.
Got it fixed. I filled it with smoke and closed it up. Had all kinds of leaks. What caulk didn't seal. Duct tape did. I love duct tape.

I tested it on some small leaves and it sucked them up no problem. I put out an open feeder in my back yard with some HBH in it. Should have plenty of bees (not mine) to suck up tomorrow to give it the real test.

Thanks for the help guys!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.