Thread: Freight Rates

Default Freight Rates

I was pleasantly surprised to get a quote of $1.48 a mile on a load of equipment. Lowest rate I have seen in years.

Default Re: Freight Rates

Just curious, Was this for just hauling a load of general freight, into California? That's a pretty cheap rate for anything going into Cali. with the trucking situation out there and the new restrictions being placed on commercial carriers in the state of CA.

Hey Racer, I didn't mean to low ball your post!

That was for a load of empty bee equipment going 2400 miles FROM California, my nets, driver only throws straps.

LOL! No no I didn't mean it that way at all, lol. I was guessing it was that kind of a load.

Freight Leaving California is always MUCH cheaper than freight going in. 1.50 a mile for a load like you have would be a pretty good load in my eyes to get out of California in this day and age, lol. Live bees going IN is a completely different animal.

Thanks for your response. (BTW, when does it load?? lol)

Well these rates are a mystery to me, but not the drivers. When you guys take those bees on, you are carrying someones livliehood on your back. Timing routes, extra hours to keep them moving when necessary, helping load & net, making sure the MAIL GETS THROUGH my hats off to all those on the ball drivers out there.

On a related note, last Spring a farmer asked why trucking wasn't coming down now that fuel is down? Because it's so slow out there you can hardly make it. Doesn't pay to sit.

Thank you for the kind words. And yes the freight volume across the country is way down compared to just a year ago. It is a tough business right now, kinda like Beekeeping, lol. Hauling bees has been so interesting for the last few years, that I became a beekeeper too. Whether that was a good decision or not remains to be seen, LOL... Thanks again.