Default does anyone know?

during the day my honey bees enter and leave the hive in small numbers(apprx 20 every 30 seconds), once every 3 days at exactly midday, the hive erupts, with many thousands of bees near the entrance and a further few thousand approx 10 meters away just flying around in circles, this goes on for about half an hour and then they go back to the normal 20 visable stage??? what is actually happening, because im not sure if its a swarm or if the hive is too hot or if they are all coming home at the exact time and cant physically get into the hive??? any ideas??

Default Re: does anyone know?

Orientation flights - usually daily during the summer months when the weather is nice, nearly always in the late afternoon. Sometimes just a small cloud buzzing around the entrance, sometimes you'll see a 'tornado' doing big lazy circles, sometimes you'll see both at the same time.

Enjoy the show.

cool, yeah its quite exciting if your only new to beekeeping, bit scary too, cheers tho :P

G,day
    It may be orientation flights, but this is your spring and prime time for swarming. Check your hive to see if there is adequate space. You should have two deep hive bodies and perhaps have a super or two on by now. Also, check for swarm cells on your brood frames. They look like peanut shaped cells in the bottom of the frames.

Orientation flight, I watched mine do it yesterday about midday as well.........I just love to watch them....
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

Look anything like this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtH9nG929OU

Just new bees figuring out how to get back home.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

hello, when a new bee leaves the hive it will actully fly backwards.keeping a bees eye on it at all times.Look closely when observing them also if you see them moveing forwards and backwards alot.There cleaning, bee terms washboarding.

hey yer, i checked the youtube link and it looks exactly the same, i think its just brilliant,, my hive was a 5 frame nuc only 3 weeks ago, now its a 10 frame full depth with a super and the super frames are 30% filled and i checked also for queen cells and there are only drone cells at the moment, so i guess its just an orientation flight!! thx guys, really helps, also, i watched a worker bee fly off with the shell of another big bee?? did they kill a drone,, and why??

It could have been a drone that didn't make it or had something wrong with it....I was watching mine one day and watched a really dumb bumblebee make it to the entrance...What ensued after that was CHAOS. They tore him a new one and killed it. One of the bees was tangled up in him pretty good and flew off about 100 feet before hitting the ground, wrestled a bit more, got free and flew home. I have also seen when robbers try to get in and drones that they will wrestle and get tangled in them. They almost always hit the ground, then wrestle more before being free....
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."