Thread: honeyless hive

Default honeyless hive

in may, i did a cutout, and brought the bees home in my hive. they have been in and out all summer. i thought they were doing fine. today when i look in the hive, there isnt a drop of honey. what happened. there are several frames of drawn comb. the other hive i did a cutout to get , died out slowly, so i figured i must not of got the queen. im thinking on this hive i didnt get the queen either but had laying workers to keep the population going. should i combine this hive with another hive that i have that is real strong and full of honey?

Default Re: honeyless hive

im thinking on this hive i didnt get the queen either but had laying workers to keep the population going.

Laying workers don't keep the population going. They only produce drones. As soon as the original workers die from old age, the hive is a goner.

should i combine this hive with another hive that i have that is real strong and full of honey?

Or give this hive a bunch of surplus honey from other hives. Or feed, feed, feed.

Ask your local beekeepers how much honey a hive in Virginia needs. They could probably advise you better on your specific needs.

thanks, countryboy. what do you think went wrong? for them not to have any stores?

My problem this year has been early this spring I had plenty of honey and was waiting for it to be capped. As time went on the honey was used. The bloom after spring was not 'explosive' like it normally has been, but was gradual and lingering without a great number of blooms at one time. About three weeks ago goldenrod, sunflowers, some purple flowers and a yellow flower along with many asters popped up, all covered in bees. Hives are busy as can be and we may have a harvest yet.

My point is that they were eating more than they were bringing in from the end of May until this past bloom and I did have to feed one of my feral hives. Even though there was forage for a longer than normal time frame there was not the normal bloom numbers at trhe same time. I've lived here almost twenty years and this is the first I've seen this.

I have not had any robbing or serious predator problems this year.

I wouldn't combine the bees with another hive at this point. Feed, Feed, Feed. With no honey stores they will soon starve or find other hives to rob. Would suggest pollen patties to tide them over. Syrup mixture attracts a lot of unwanted robbing from what I read lately here. Pollen patty recipe is here: http://www.greenanything.net/honey-bees.php about the middle of page. You can scale it down a bit further too. I just like to produce a bucket or two at a time.

Others are right about the queen. Workers lay drone eggs. Or if one worker is selected to produce a queen, she'll be fed royal jelly instead of honey. You'll see a queen cell produced at the top of a frame.