Thread: Minty Honey?

Default Minty Honey?

I recently posted about our wonderful and unexpected honey harvest this week (yes, October!). We were pleasantly surprised at how many supers the girls had filled. Last night we extracted the honey. Kind of strange.... the honey has a minty flavor. A little unusual... and unexpected. I must say that I like the previously harvested honey better. I don't know how this honey will taste on my english muffins!

Question: The only flowers that I knew were blooming were golden rod, asters, and a few red clovers. Where does the minty flavor come from? Do asters make minty honey? And what do you think I should call this honey? Will it sell? I have about 100 pounds. Thanks as always!

Chris

Default Re: Minty Honey?

Maybe it is Linden, Basswood, from July.

We have some little minty flowers blooming right about now. I have no clue what the real name for them is.
    I'm guessing you haven't fed any honey b healthy though.
    Charla Hinkle

I am growing 4 different types of mint plants and some are still blooming. I have a neighbor with mint growing wild in his field. Maybe one of your neighbors has a patch of it. My bees love it.

Quote Originally Posted by charmd2 View Post
    We have some little minty flowers blooming right about now. I have no clue what the real name for them is.
    I'm guessing you haven't fed any honey b healthy though.
    I believe the mint you are talking about is Beefsteake mint, it has small purple flowers arising from the leaf axils it has soft oblong leaves and can get 3ft. tall and like most mints it has a square stem. It has quit blooming here and is going to seed. Jack

No, Jack the flowers I am talking about are yellow.. I'll search and see what I can come up with.
    Charla Hinkle

Collinsonia canadensis, stoneroot or horseweed are common names. At least I'm 95% sure that I'm identifying it correctly. And it is still flowering. Although I have almost entirely yellow flowers in our woods.
    Charla Hinkle

We make horsemint (lemon mint) honey in the late summer here.

The secret to strong mint tasting honey is to treat it like wine. Put it in a dark place for a year then bring it out.
    Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.
    Thomas A. Edison

I'd bet dollars to dogbiscuits it's linden / basswood as pcelar posted earlier

Bees have around 2-3 miles radius to gather pollen. Russian Sage and Various Mint vines grow anywhere they can. The bees do love it like cats get into catnip. One thing I use to attract my bees to certain areas is liquid Anise. I'll take an injector needle (about 12cc) and broadcast the stuff wherever I need them. It smells like black licorice and drives them wild.

I would just enjoy what you got. Once you figure out what type of mint it is, then bottle your extras and sell them locally. Sounds unique.

Charmd2, I have the wildflowers of Mo. book from the conservation dept. and can't find a mint listed with a yellow flower (not to say there not any) but most are in the daisy family. Right now i have alot of sneezeweed and showy goldenrod (yellow flowers) but never see a bee on them. The horseweed (bloom) has been gone in my area for 2 weeks now. I have 26 hives in your area and would like to know what it is their working on. Thanks for any info. Jack

Was it a rape or mustard, last year I got some honey from rape and it had a Monty zing to it. Could it be any of the other members of the brassicae family?

Re: Minty Honey?

Yikes you guys! You sure know your flowers. To clarify: the supers were just put on 3 weeks ago. We already harvested the summer honey (sure was good!). Some of the honey was not capped but tested at 17% and some tested at 22% (we put those back on the hive). And no, I haven't been feeding HBH (or any feed for that matter). My neighbor has a 4 x 4 foot patch of mint but I don't think it is enough to flavor 12 supers full.

I'm not opposed to minty honey... it's just different. Do you think people would like it? I certainly prefer the full bodied flavor of goldenrod honey over this honey. This new tasting honey is... well... unexpected.

Well, it froze here last night. Going down to 24 degrees tonight. All flowers will be finished. Time to tuck the girls in for the winter.

Chris