Default Foundation for 2010

I was thinking about putting in foundation this fall for 2010 Supers, but I heard the wax will not be as fresh & the bees may not draw it as well. I have 200 or so & was wanting to get ahead. Does anyone have any experiences with this theory?

Default Re: Foundation for 2010

Somebody's been drinking too much Kickapoo Joy Juice! I've used foundation that's several years old and the bees draw it out, no problem. Just store it in a cool place and keep it in the boxes it comes in and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by fish_stix View Post
    Somebody's been drinking too much Kickapoo Joy Juice!
    i have not heard that expression in a long time

Quote Originally Posted by fish_stix View Post
    Somebody's been drinking too much Kickapoo Joy Juice! I've used foundation that's several years old and the bees draw it out, no problem. Just store it in a cool place and keep it in the boxes it comes in and you'll be fine.
    I am talking about putting wax in my frames today for supers to be used in 2010? I understand it is fine left in the box.

I didn't have any problems doing what you would like to do -- I did it in 2008 and used it in 2009 -- The girls didn't care that I actually built the frame with foundation last year.

I also have frames with foundation ready to go for 2010.

I never put it in until I'm ready to use it. Wax foundation will sag over time and more quickly if it's hot and even more quickly if it's not wired.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF