Default A Queen that will not stay home.

I have 4 hives from packages installed this May.
    1 hive is 2 deep brood boxes in strength.
    2 hives are 1 deep brood box and about ¼ of a medium brood box filled out.
    I have been feeding all hives 1:1 all summer.

The last hive had only 3 of 8 frames filled out with wax by the end of July with very little
    Capped brood, no Eggs or larva, and no stores. I requeened the hive. She was rejected.
    I introduced another queen a week later and she was accepted.
    I made an inspection last Saturday. Maybe 25% of 1 frame has capped brood, eggs and larva.
    There are still no stores in the hive even though I have been feeding. The other hives are robbing
    The week hive blind and I cannot stop it, save moving them. I have reduced the entrance to a ½ in
    Opening and placed a screen in front and to one side of the entrance.
    Since last weeks inspection the queen has tried to leave the hive 2 times. She’s clipped so she does not get far.
    I’ve reinstalled her in the hive both times. She only has about ½ cup of workers with her.
    I am into the package and queens for $105 + equip + feed.
    Is there anyway I can save this pitiful hive?
    Do I put the queen down or can she be saved until next year?
    Thanks,
    Steve

Default Re: A Queen that will not stay home.

ok, got to ask why would you want to save a queen that is not good. She has not produced well. Her colony is dwindling. Kill the queen, combine with one of your other hives and hope for winter survival and spilt next year.
    Have you checked the hive for varroa?

Could they be trying to abscond for some reason? Varroa, mites, whatever....
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

"Could they be trying to abscond for some reason? Varroa, mites, whatever.... "

No mites at last check!
    They did not start trying to get the heck out of Dodge
    until i inspected them last weekend.

REALLY, at that point, I'd prolly pinch her and combine....Sounds like she wasn't all that great before this either.....and they are really weak from what you are saying...
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

Perhaps it is a good queen... but she got a late in the year start with a weakened and weakening population and if there was a late summer dearth like there is here... maybe she just never had enough resources to take off. She is not the original queen but was introduced late in the season after the strong spring into early summer flows were over. The prob is now that it is too late in the year to try boosting her with frames from other hives as it would just weaken the stronger hive to no use as it's just too late. Pinch her and combine the three frames with your weakest of the other three hives you have. This is how I read it myself from the other side of the country anyways!
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

ahh....throw her in box and send her to me. Well heck, drop those 300 in with her. We have another month or so of warm weather...lol...

Fate has turned my way for once!
    I was asked to remove a Hive from a deer stand.
    It looks to be a strong hive by the activity i saw.

Thanks Everyone!