Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Cutout question

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  SwedeBee1970 
#1 ·
I cut two hives out of a house that was about to be demolished this weekend. One was a very nice compact hive in between two studs, maybe 20'' tall. I got the queen out put here in the box and a few hours later, most all the bees were going to that box. The other, however, was appx. seven feet long in between two studs. We cut all the comb out, two five gallon buckets full, placed some in some frames, and placed a box on a step ladder below the entrance. Came back the next day and most all the bees were in a cluster at the blocked entrance, and they had also returned inside to cluster along the studs. I am assuming we did not get the queen, or killed her, so we brushed the majority of the bees that we could into the box and again left it on the ladder. My question is what do I do now if they still have not taken to the box? The weather was rainy today, I did not go over there to check on them. My thoughts were to go one evening, brush all I could into the box, and take off with them. I have enought hives that I can rob some eggs and let them make a new queen. All suggestions appreciated.

Adam

#2 ·
Did you see any eggs in the comb you placed in the frames? Usually the nurse bees will stay with young larva and I'd hope to have the bees make a new queen from one of the feral hive eggs. That way your getting some of those genetics to take to your beeyard.

We just took two colonies out of a building in Williamsburg, VA. Brought those colonies back to my beeyard, combined the vac buckets with the 9 frames of comb, put a feeder on and kept those bees locked in until late evening. Gave them a 1 inch opening and installed a robbing screen. There were eggs and young larve so when I inspect this afternoon I'll either find a queen or the beginnings of queen cells.

Good luck,

Pete0
Bena, VA

#4 ·
Was the comb full of Honey ?
Did you cut out any brood with it ?

Any time you cut and de-cap the honey cells, they ooze and the bees will naturally stay to clean up the mess and replace the old honey with new. If there is no brood in the comb this may be part of the problem of returning home.

When the comb was cut out, any bees on it should have been placed inside the boxes and capped. I'm assuming that they'll clean and structure the new hive.

I think the queen was in the comb when set free. She has wings too and flies off when in danger or on a mission.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.