Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Winter book reading

4K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  BeeCurious 
#1 ·
Hay beeks, it's getting colder, and I need to start looking for my winter reading material. Can you give me your favorite higher level bee book and why.

Thanks

#2 ·
Best high level book I read was: "Beekeeping for dummies". Reason why is that it is straight forward and tells you what to do as opposed to most bee books that describe so many different ways to do the same thing.

Aside from 'high level' the overall book I seem to like the best is: "The Backyard BeeKeeper" by Kim Flottum. I seem to go to that book more than most.

#5 ·
Read The Hive and The Honey Bee all the way through. The book covers everything you need and don't need to know about bees. I have 2 copies of it one from the late 70's and a new one.

Another is ABC and XYZ of Beekeeping it's laid out alphabetical. I have the old one and not the new so I don't really know about it.

For the coffee by the fireplace reading someone could read The Queen and I by Ed Weiss.

But for the technical I say Hive and Honeybee theres lots of technical bee stuff in the first several chaptors you may not find in the books geared to get you going. My first one looks like a old college book highlighted to the hilt.

#8 ·
I agree with Bonnie on The Hive and the Honeybee, and ABC's... those two will become very valuable resources for you over the years.

For a wonderfully inspiring, philosophical approach to beekeeping, anything by Richard Taylor!

I would also strongly suggest "America's Master of Bee Culture, the Life of L. L. Langstroth," by Florence Naile. You may have to search for a copy, but that is an enjoyable, informative, and inspiring read. A diligent search should get you a copy under $30.

Also remember, Christmas is coming! Add a book to your wish list! :applause:

#9 ·
I also have Hive Management and "The Beekeeper's Handbook, Third Edition"

I think the beekeepers handbook is too deep/complex for the newbeek, but is going to be my primarly read this winter now that I have a season under my belt.
The third edition of the handbook is 2006., so fairly modern. I find myself first hating this book as I could not understand it and it reminded me of a school text book, but now I see what's in there and understand it better, liking this book more.

Have not cracked "Hive Management" yet so no comment

Also going to order ABC & XYZ as my other off season read.

#10 ·
If I may;

ABC & XYZ of Bee Culture is 900 pages of varying topics from A to Z on bees, much like an encyclopedia collection.

The Hive and the Honey Bee is 1300 pages of varying bee topics compiled from numerous writers. It's actually like a bunch of articles/books/booklets/research papers from different sources in one place.
Not to be confused with The Hive and the Honey Bee Revisited by Dr. Roger Hoopingarner. Not a rewrite.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
Motown:

What do you mean by "higher level"?

Dewey Caron's book Honey Bee Biology and Beekeeping is very readable.

If you don't mind graphs, and scattergrams... and would like an in depth look into the foraging behavior of bees then The Wisdom of the Hive: The Social Physiology of Honey Bee Colonies by Thomas D. Seeley might be a nice addition to your book collection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.