Default New guy starting withTop Bar Hives

Howdy,

I'm getting ready to build some Top Bar Hives and have a few questions, mostly to do with placement of the hives.

I had read somewhere that the hives need the morning sun but need shade the rest of the day. Here in West Texas the trees are few; only alot of West Texas Weeds aka Mesquite trees. Is having the daytime shade a necessity? or will they do ok?

I have 5 acres here and plan on putting 5 TBH's in the back corner.

Is there a minimum space I need to consider with hive placement?

Last but not least, are there any good resource books that focus on TBH's?

Thanks in advance

Bob

Default Re: New guy starting withTop Bar Hives

Michael Bush's web site is always a good source of information. Here's the link for Top Bar Hives.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm

Walt
    "Having Fun with Nature"
    www.rgf-tx.com

I had read somewhere that the hives need the morning sun but need shade the rest of the day. Here in West Texas the trees are few; only alot of West Texas Weeds aka Mesquite trees. Is having the daytime shade a necessity? or will they do ok?
    They will do just fine. My hives get 8-10 hours of direct sun. Face the entrance east/southeast.

Oh and those Mesquite trees might be a good honey producer for you next spring.

Is there a minimum space I need to consider with hive placement?
    You can pretty much set them up side by side. (long ways)
    Chuck Norris once roundhouse kicked Hulk in the face. Now he hides in the forest and changed his name to Shrek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek View Post
    They will do just fine. My hives get 8-10 hours of direct sun. Face the entrance east/southeast.

Oh and those Mesquite trees might be a good honey producer for you next spring.
    Thanks for the tip. BTW, the three thing we dont have a shortage of are sun, wind and Mesquite

You can pretty much set them up side by side. (long ways)

That's what I was hoping. I want to set them just far enough apart to be able to work them

Off to the lumber yard!!

Bob

Before working them and setting them up make sure you leave enough space between the hives to stand AND put things down near where you are standing. I put mine too close and now wish them to be about 5' apart. Oh, and I am glad I made all top bars the same length as I do interchange them from hive to hive, but like Mr. Bush I will make my bars in the future the same dimension as a langstroth. Live 'n learn.