Default % Survival Rate/ Old Queen v.s. New

I was curious to how many of you Commercial migratory beeks requeen all hives every year and when do you do it?

If you do what percentage of your queens/colonies fail by fall?

If you don't requeen everything yearly and just use new queens for replacing deadouts and failed queens what percentage of your queens/colonies fail by fall?

Finally, What do you consider acceptable percentage loss from November-March and also for April-October?

Thanks for your input.

Shannon
    Last edited by Beeslave; 10-02-2009 at 08:04 PM. Reason: title change

Default Re: Yearly requeening

If this has been covered before can someone show me the link. I searched and didn't find what I was looking for.

Default Re: Yearly requeening

I am probably in the minority here but we requeen 95 % (limited only by the queens that we aren't able to find in a reasonable time) of our hives every spring. Roughly 10% never catch a queen and another 10% dwindle through the summer for reasons unknown. By almond bloom usually another 10 to 15% either are too small or have died out. However if you choose to look at it optimistically roughly 2/3 of our hives are big strong hives by early spring easily enough to get our numbers back for the next year.