Question Hello from Colorado

I am brand new to this site and I find bees very fascinating! I have had a few experiences where I have had many bees crawling on me and never been stung. I hope one day to have the time and land to have hives of my own. Unfortunately I have heard that honeybees are dying off. I work in a greenhouse and was recently asked to apply pesticides and systemics.I declined after reading a warning label on a common systemic which states that the pollen produced by a flowering plant treated with the systemic will kill bees. I was very surprised by this and I do not buy these plants any more. I am also letting my friends and family know so they do not plant them either. I have spoken to my employer about it and he did not express much concern. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I could do?

Default Re: Hello from Colorado

what plants were these?? are they food plants?
    Steve Wenger
    Gentleman farmer/7 year Bee Keeper

Re: Hello from Colorado

the pants were not food plants. The greenhouse sells mostly to stores and floral shops so these are "houseplants". But some plants can be planted outside such as mums. They also put the systemic on cyclamen which is more popular during the holidays but some are sold now that are blooming!!!! The systemic is called Safari. I don't know what other pesticides or systemics they have that kill bees since I declined to use them.