Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bee Truck

Default Re: Bee Truck

Have a ford 7.3 and it is a great truck. wish they still put these in the trucks. The 6.0 are not the motor the 7.3 are. As far as the Dodge they have a good motor in them but the rest of the truck is junk. I have a freind that has two dodges and the Fords are far much more dependable.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Beekman View Post
    I am considering buying a Ford F550 diesel 4x4 and will put a bed long enough to fit 6 rows of 10 ten frame equipment (96 total hives). Just interested in hearing people experiences / thoughts. Thanks.
    I own two F550 diesel 4x4s, a 2000 and 2008, and both have been great trucks. We only put on 10 stacks (80 hives) with some room to spare on the back, but in a pinch we can load another row of pallets on top and move 120 hives or 30 pallets (provided they're not full of honey). We also pull a trailer with a Bobcat skid-steer forklift.

The new 2008 makes you forget that you are hauling a load sometimes, and the 4x4 has definitely paid off if you are like me and end up having to get to bees in less than ideal conditions.

Good luck!

I just finished the final touches to my 2009 f550 4x4 with a ft bed the ford brake controller GRATE!!!! no slamming when you brake, nice smoooooth stops Ill let you know how it all works with a load on the trailer, ill bee leaving for the south on thirsday

Hiope to buy a 450 or 550 in near future....BUT the powerjoke engine will be tr.rown away and a .cummins put in..!!

Quote Originally Posted by suttonbeeman View Post
    Hiope to buy a 450 or 550 in near future....BUT the powerjoke engine will be tr.rown away and a .Cummings put in..!!
    I wouldn't hold my breath there is a ford web site diesels.com look it over they say that ford is changing out there engine AGAIN to a 6.7. I agree if ford would put the Comings in and the Allison trans it would be a best seller

Why in the world would you want the Allison trans????

Found a cheap one on the truck paper.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/d...x?OHID=2188327
    I am holding on to the hope I have inside... Kutless

I want to thank all the previous posters that shared their thoughts and experiences about F550's. One question I still have is for a 16' bed would you get a 201" or 189" chassi?

You would probably want the 201" just bear in mind that if you are moving 10 frame four way pallets you need at least 16' 6" to get a 6th row on. For our purposes a 189" with a 14' bed hauls essentially the same load (5 rows) with no wasted space on the back.

I want to thank all the previous posters that shared their thoughts and experiences about F550's. One question I still have is for a 16' bed would you get a 201" or 189" chassis?
    Too short of a wheelbase can make for problems with the trailer hitch not protruding far back enough from under the bed. The truck can also ride a bit seesaw with a lot of weight behind the rear axle. Go with the longer wheelbase.

How does the v-10 stack up to the diesel in the fords???????
    AKA BEEMAN800

heres a nice one with piggy-back fork lift included. wish I had the money now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/48-Fo...item2ea84e11c9

and another , this looks like a good deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo...item2556b5746f
    Last edited by TwT; 10-14-2009 at 05:48 PM.
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Suchan View Post
    How does the v-10 stack up to the diesel in the fords???????
    The V10 is Fords best kept secret . Its cheaper to buy and maintain. Its more reliable than the diesel and will pull a load of bees and the Bobcat the same as the diesel. The fuel economy is about the same . If I was buying new I would take a good look at one.

I agree. My last two 1 ton trucks both had/have the V10. I've not experienced their diesel, but I am very happy with the performance of the gas 10. I carry about 3/4 ton around all the time and it doesn't slow me down.
    Regards, Barry

One question I still have is for a 16' bed would you get a 201" or 189" chassi?
    We were looking at having a custom bed made once. The manufacturer said that 60% of the bed should be in front of the axle. He also said the maximum distance away from the axle a gooseneck hitch should be is 4 inches either way.

Barry, what kind of mileage do you get with the V-10?

Roland

Quote Originally Posted by TwT View Post
    heres a nice one with piggy-back fork lift included. wish I had the money now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/48-Fo...item2ea84e11c9

and another , this looks like a good deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volvo...item2556b5746f
    the problem with lumber trucks is they aren't air ride, which is almost a must have.
    I am holding on to the hope I have inside... Kutless

ok, thats something I didn't relies.
    Ted

I want to thank all the previous posters that shared their thoughts and experiences about F550's. One question I still have is for a 16' bed would you get a 201" or 189" chassi?
    I have a 201 wheelbase ,the problem is that if you put heavy pallets or drums of honey on it most of the weight is over the front axel . You need to put empty pallets in the front to space things over the rear axel.

TWT, I work for a trucking company and we start to look at getting rid of trucks between the 400,000 and 500,000 miles. Stay away from that Volvo too. We acquired two in a buy out and they are expensive to fix.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast