Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bee Truck

Default Re: Bee Truck

Quote Originally Posted by suttonbeeman View Post
    The gets close to same mpg as a new powerjoke.
    I would go with the dodge 550 with that auto trans that is waranty for 500,000.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

F550 ford is arealy well built truck...but its powerjoke engine leaves you stranded at the dealer shop on occasion. If you put in a cummins then you would have a truck. The freightliner is heavier built, will turn just as tight and gets close to same mpg as a new powerjoke.
    I have an 8.3L cummins w/ 9 speed and 3.73 gears. I get 12mpg around home. I have gotten up to 16mpg on the highway but I didn't have anything on.
    I am holding on to the hope I have inside... Kutless

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Beekman View Post
    I am considering buying a Ford F550 diesel 4x4 and will put a bed long enough to fit 6 rows of 10 ten frame equipment (96 total hives). Just interested in hearing people experiences / thoughts. Thanks.
    I have a 2003 F-550 4x4 with a 16 foot bed. It has had some issues , all trucks have there issues at one point or another though. If you are not in a hurry and buying new Id wait until 2011 Ford is changing there diesel engine again. If you dont want to wait take a look at the v-10 its a great engine with lots of power.

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    The only thing different I might wish for my truck is that it was a dump bed, but that's just for using it as a farm truck, it would not be such a good way to unload beehives I'm thinking!
    I don't even know what this thing is. It's on the local craigslist. Only 1/2 of the bed seems to tilt.

http://farmington.craigslist.org/grd/1352909524.html

OK, I don't know if you could find a better deal than this. 94' 1 ton dodge cummins W/ 16' bed! in GA for $3500 http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/1356952480.html screw some plywood on top of the steel deck and you are ready to go! As far as it is away, I am almost tempted...

By looking at the pics of the 94 dodge I think the frame needs to be extended if you are going to haul a heavy load. If you take it to a shop that would cost $300-$500. That would still be a good deal.

Big Grin Re: Bee Truck

Trevor Glad to see Ford is changing their engine again...maybe they will get it right someday....Ford had better get a better idea! Great truck poor diesel engine

If only they could put a Cummins in the Ford.

Do you have any more pictures of those.
    dbest, here are a couple of more photos.

http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/t...4.jpg&newest=1

http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/t...2.jpg&newest=1

The lift has some of the fastest hydraulics I've seen which takes some getting used to but becomes a time saver.

Trevor Glad to see Ford is changing their engine again...maybe they will get it right someday....Ford had better get a better idea! Great truck poor diesel engine
    Its hard to beat the old 7.3 . I have the 6.0 in my 550 it has 150,000 miles on it and it has had some issues . When you take trucks in the places that we take trucks you are going to push them to there breaking points. Diesels arent what they used to be they are high tech computerized machines , the exhaust is usually cleaner than the air going in. I hope the new 6.7 powerstroke is a great motor I need a new truck in the next year or so.

Well as soon as they get rid of the V-8 and go to a straight six then they may have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by dbest View Post
    That's acutally my friend C J making candy for queen cages
    OK. Lets go with that story.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Well as soon as they get rid of the V-8 and go to a straight six then they may have a chance.
    Hey I love the old 5.9 Cummins ,I used to have one. But they dont make them anymore and the new straight 6 6.7 Cummins are having problems as well. The problem with the Cummins is that they are placed in a Fiat errr I mean Dodge body.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mansell View Post
    The problem with the Cummins is that they are placed in a Fiat errr I mean Dodge body.
    Trevor, I hear ya.

I don't understand why they can't put in something like a DT-466 or a cat 3126. The V-8's are poor on power,milage & longivity.

just some info please, is this truck below under powered for a load of bee's and pulling a trailer with a loader? and how many hives can a 20' bed hold fully loaded? (say double deeps 10 framers)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...=p4506.c0.m245
    Ted

the truck is probably not under powered but it does have the 6.0l engine so then you have a V8. I had a choice of a truck like this, or one with the DT 466 i went with the DT.
    as for hauling bees my truck has a 18ft bed but with a 20ft you can haul 14 four way pallets on a layer so that would be 56 or if you go two high 112, or three high 168.

yeah guest you right, I know the 6.0L in the fords aren't a good as the 7.3L were, guest thats the down fall on that truck clean truck though. Thanks
    Ted

Power is relative to how fast you feel like going. My old truck was a Ford LN7000 with a 20' bed. It had a 3208 cat rated for 185 hp. It was slow when fully loaded but got the job done.
    I am holding on to the hope I have inside... Kutless

what ever happens to the older trucks or new with the custom bee booms like the one on the movie Ulee's Gold, I have never seen one in person so they must be rare as hens teeth, been to many apiaries but everyone seems to use loaders and flat beds.
    Ted

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast