Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bee Truck

Default Re: Bee Truck

Before you purchace a bed or have one made, find out how much it will weigh.
    Many beds are WAY, WAY too heavy, but not one bit stronger than the lightest ones available.

Every pound that your bed weighs is a pound of cargo that you can't legally carry.
    Look into aluminum beds, such as Intercontinental Truck Body.
    Very well built but much lighter in weight than others.

One more comment:
    Reading through the posts on this thread, I question the legality of many of the wild claims of loads hauled.
    At least in Oregon, a F-450 will never legally haul 80 double-deep hives whild pulling a trailer with bobcat.
    Don't forget about that little sticker on the door and how it can drain your wallet crossing the scales.
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

good point on the weight Harry, DOT here in FL does not just limit themselves to the big rigs the will stop the 450 and 550 sized trucks also, not just across the scales but merely meandering down the road with a load on.

450 or 550.....well I got pulled over FOUR times last year in my 350 with trailer! Got to have a class A cdl with a 350 and gooseneck that is rated at 16k or more. Mine is 24 k. Havent bothered me but once in my freightliner.....guy got to back of truck and saw bees...ran to car real fast and motioned me to go on!

Quote Originally Posted by suttonbeeman View Post
    saw bees...ran to car real fast and motioned me to go on!
    Heard that one a few times from other beekeepers.

we run 27ft beds on our big trucks. we can haul 216 doubles or 360 singles that way. our one tons have 12ft beds on them. i guess ford is coming out with a new motor this winter.

Well I am very happy with my 85' F-250 6.9L Diesel. I dont have the speed you new guys get but it can get me anywhere and I ahve pulled, towed & carried weights well and beyond the recomended limits
    Last edited by JohnK and Sheri; 10-28-2009 at 02:55 PM. Reason: unnecessary quote

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Barry, what kind of mileage do you get with the V-10?
    I don't know, but it can't be great by the amount of money I spend on gas. I checked the mileage when I first bought it, but never since. I'll check it here the next fill up and let you know.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by HarryVanderpool View Post
    Reading through the posts on this thread, I question the legality of many of the wild claims of loads hauled.
    An F-450 has a GVW of 16,000 lbs. The truck weighs about 7,000 lbs, I think. 80 hives at 100 lbs each is 8,000 lbs. The trailer that I pull is registered at a GVW of 9,900 lbs and carrys a 4,500 lb Bobcat. So you are probably right. I may be cutting it close at times. But not as close as lots of pickups hauling a goose neck trailer or those humongus camper trailers. Which, for some reason, aren't required to cross the scale on major hiways.
    Last edited by JohnK and Sheri; 10-28-2009 at 03:01 PM. Reason: unnecessary quote
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234