Thread: Formic Acid

Default Formic Acid

All- Looking for a couple gallons of formic acid. I don't need 55 gallons and that seems to be the quantity local suppliers want to sell it in. Shipping a 5 gallon pail to Kansas from Wintersun Chemical isn't feasible.

Feel free to email at mlaipple@yahoo.com or PM.

Thanks

Default Re: Formic Acid

Several years ago, when an un-named guy was promoting formic acid treatments (not yet approved), I tried to find some. It was suggested (wink, wink) that you tell the supplier you wanted it for "taxidermy."

Well, I tried to make some calls. The nice receptionists all asked about twenty questions, then their common response was they didn't have any in stock.

I let it go.

I'm going to try Mite-Away II this fall. At least I don't have to lie to get it.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

chemical solutions in Va. is where I get mine from. it comes in 35 gallon containers.

Grant- There's quite a bit of it to be found around KC in larger quantities. Must be a lot of taxidermy going on ;-)

I've used Miteaway II and had good success with it. Cost per hive for Miteaway II seems high to me but I'm cheap... I'm sure it's fairly priced for what it takes to manufacture and market. Buying bulk formic, diluting it down to 65% and making up a similiar treatment using Homasote board will cut cost but is not nearly as convenient.

When you factor your time making and diluting the boards, cutting the boards, electricity for cutting the boards...if using a saw, basically, if you factor everything in the mix, how much are you truely saving?