Default Mouse Guard Question

Will an entrance reducer, set to the smallest opening, prevent mice from entering a hive during the winter?

Default Re: Mouse Guard Question

If the hole is 3/8" or less (and they dont "knaw it larger" ).

I use 1/2 wire and as long as it is a good tight fit I dont have problems. I would go to 3/8 if it was availble but it is not. As stated the mice can enlarge the small hole in a reducer but I would worry more about one little hole getting plugged by dead bee's
    Last edited by danno; 09-21-2009 at 02:41 PM.

No, it won't and it will allow too much moisture to remain in the hive. My mouse screens, made of 3/8" screen, bent in a V shape and measured precisely so that the ends don't allow any openings, have lasted for nearly fifty years. Good investment. Try to use the same one per hive as bottom board measurements sometimes vary. OMTCW

Many years ago, I raised rats and mice. At that time, the mice I had could go through 1/2" hardware cloth.

Ever "wunder" why one side of a reversable bottom board measures 3/8"?

Around here a popular reducer is to take a 4" wide piece of 3/8" plywood and three 3/8" laths 4" long and put the laths at each end and the middle of the 4" wide plywood. This is then put on the 3/4" deep side of a bottom. It serves as a draft reducer, entrance reducer and mouse guard. The mice don't seem to want to crawl the 4" at 3/8" deep to get in. And it makes a baffle at the door so the wind doesn't blow in so much.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Question Re: Mouse Guard Question

To Cedar Hill: Fifty Years of Beekeeping. Wow. This is my first year and your advice is taken with a great deal of respect. So, you do NOT use an entrance reducer during the winter at all? I live in Central California and the winters are not too cold here. I will use the wire for sure. Question: How do YOU avoid moisture dripping inside the hive during the winter? What method do you use? I thank you in advance for your sage advice.

Is the need for a mouse guard reduced by the use of a tall (14") hive stand and a SBB?
    4 seasons 19 Hives-Camp Branch Bee Ranch. Est 2009
    "I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect."

rkr, I'm thinking like you. I do use mouse guards. . .metal ones. . .but I think the fact that my hives are on 21" stands helps. I had voles invade my hives one year before I started using mouse guards (lesson learned), and the only hives that were bothered were two that were on much lower stands.

I am sure that areas differ because of climate and wildlife cover conditions, but I use a 3/8 in. high entrance, an 8 in. high stand, keep the area around the hives mowed and I have never had mice problems. My beekeeping expereience has been limited to Arkansas, but here even with solid bottom boards, moisture is not a problem. The only times I have observed moisture problems has been when I let a colony enter winter with too small an adult population, unripened stores or with a tracheal mite problem.