Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: On sugar water...

Well, I finished painting the two feeders a couple of days ago and today I set them on both hives. I started with about a half gallon on each side. I will check them in a couple of days to make sure the bees are feeding. I removed the boardman feeders and put them away.
    I purchased the unit made by Mann Lake. I am not sure if the link will work or not. At least it can be cut and pasted.

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/ProductDe...86&idCategory=

I also put in half a Bee-pro patty before setting the feeder on top of the hive body. We will see how it goes from here. Both hives are looking strong.
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”

Quote Originally Posted by ccar2000 View Post
    Well, I finished painting the two feeders a couple of days ago and today I set them on both hives. I started with about a half gallon on each side.
    Let us know how the feeder works out, I am especially curious about drowning bees etc.
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776

Ok, they look really nicely constructed. In the middle is a divider and it is covered with hardware cloth. It is supposed to be very bee friendly, un-likely to drown them since they can either crawl out using the plastic divider or screen. The screen is screwed onto the plastic divider and could be removed to clean out any debris. Originally I thought I would be able to feed pollen substitue on one side and syrup on the other. Apparently pollen substitutes cannot "flow" towards the center divider so the bees can gain access to them.
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”

I opened up the top covers and there are bees getting to the feed now. It seems that they are mostly crawling on the black plactic divider rather than the hardware cloth.
    This time of year it is now getting into the mid 40's at night and 70's during the day. I had heard that the top feeders get too cold when the days stay in the 50's or lower.
    I have not checked the 1/2 lb Bee-Pro pollen patties that I put in when installing the feeders last Friday, maybe this weekend I will get a chance to.

Today I got a chance to work the hives. Both feeders were bone dry empty and there was bees in the syrup sump area! I cannot tell just how they got there but I am guessing due to the syrup being gone they may have got under the mesh. No real problem though, I took the feeders off and set them aside, gave 'em a little smoke and everyone pretty much vacated.
    The pollen patties have barely been touched so there must still be something more preferrable out there for them, I left the patties in after a quick hive inspection.
    As far as drowning bees goes, while I was filling the feeder sumps I could hear the bees trying to get out of the way so I slowed it down a bit. I rechecked later and it looks like two or three did not get out of the way in time. Hopefully they will get a foothold on the mesh rather than trying to climb the plastic.
    Both hives have equal amounts of capped honey and brood with food stores. The smaller colony has two and a half undrawn frames and the stronger just has the two faces of the outer most frames undrawn.
    The weaker hive had a small pile of dead bodies out front, maybe ten or twelve. I put entrance reducers on both hives leaving the larger of the openings open to the hive.
    We are having a bloom now with some of the native desert vegetation. Days in the mid 70's and nights in the mid 40's. I plan to keep the feed on them until december.
    When I open the hives there are plenty of bees coming up to the tops of the frames and the frames with honey are pretty much filled top to bottom.
    Does anyone see any issues or concerns?
    I am thinking everything is just fine.
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12