Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How to Store Supers?

10K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Kathy1 
#1 ·
Hello Beekeepers,

I have four hives, have extracted all of my honey for 2009 (phew!), and need to store my shallow supers. They all have drawn comb and I live in a high altitude area and we do have wax moths here. The supers will freeze and thaw over the winter in my barn - but how do people store their supers now that some of the traditionally used chemicals have been banned?

Any great tips?

Thanks!

Mellifera

#4 ·
If your frames had no pollen or brood in the combs then wax moths shouldn't bother them. The moths larva are after protein in the pollen and pupa casings and destroy the wax getting to them. Honey only frames have no protein in them for the wax moth larva to want.

Also, store them in your barn. Moths like warm and dark. I have my old brood frame boxes stored out so they get first 1/2 day full sun. They are tipped 45 degrees to the sky with no upper covers or lids. No moths in any of the 8 or 9 boxes except on 3 or 4 frames total. Your barn is cold to freezing, just those temps should deter the moths, store them open and up off the ground so mice can't get to them.

#8 ·
If your frames had no pollen or brood in the combs then wax moths shouldn't bother them. The moths larva are after protein in the pollen and pupa casings and destroy the wax getting to them. Honey only frames have no protein in them for the wax moth larva to want.
Where I live you better not store them without protection of some kind because the wax moths here haven`t read that page in the book :cry:

#5 ·
Thank you for your answers. I have a few more questions..

I understand that paradichlorobenzene has been outlawed in CA. (I could be wrong about this..)

Alternatives would be best - my question about BT treatments is about when the supers are back on the hives next year. Does the BT effect brood?

I can't store my supers outside like RayMarler, because we have ground squirrels. To those of you in the West who have ground squirrels, I don't have to say anything else. (To those who don't, you can't believe the level of destruction that they can achieve when they are storing food for the winter.) Think mice on steroids.

#7 ·

I'm confused. I thought these honey supers were what folks are trying to keep safe from wax moths every winter. :s:scratch:

#10 ·
I used to use those giant Christmas tree disposal bags to put a bunch of supers in with some paradichlorobenzene and then seal the bag. I found a much easier way and have been doing it this way for years with excellent results.

I stack my supers (after the girls have cleaned them) on top of each other (not cross-stacked) and place a spacer box (basically a short super made from 1x3 or you could use an empty super) every 5th super high with a plastic tray (Rubbermaid/Tupperware/whatever) filled with paradichlorobenzene. I stack them 10 to 11 high and place a piece of cardboard cut to the size of the super on top of this stack (it acts like a gasket). I then place a piece of plywood (cut to the size of the super) or a few queen excluders on top of this to weigh it down and provide a good seal. This basically creates a sealed gas chamber of supers. It keeps everything out...wax moths, SHB, ants, spiders, mice..everything. I then air them out for a few days before I put these supers back on the following year.

#11 ·
Does anyone know if paradichlorobenzene is still legal in California?

It appears that the health rating (according to the latest MSDS) has been changed from a 2 to a 3 - severe/cancer causing and that there are some environmental precautions.

Any CA beekeepers out there?

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.