Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HFCS question

Default Re: HFCS question

Here is another supplier for WI

John Smith
    715-283-4843
    Eau Galle, WI 54737

Is anyone buying and using Liquid Sucrose for feed in the spring. I have some I can get but it is 24.5 cents a lb in a 70% solution so that comes to about 35 cents dry. have to buy a full tanker load to get that price. any feedback

Liquid Sucrose is a very satisfactory syrup in my opinion. I mainly use it when rearing queens, so the cost factor is less crucial, but the bees take it straight if you wish, or diluted as appropriate, so it is very easy to use.

When used at 66% for autumn feeding, it does take a toll on bee populations, just as surely as gathering a crop of honey would, but in the absence of brooding, the hive has no replacements coming along, so bee strength is challenged.

This is true of all supplemental feeding, in my opinion. So far, This point doesn't seem to be considered in the CCD studies.

In Australia, 66% is the standard grade.

Cheers,
    JohnS

We have half a tanker load left here in Nebraska if anyone close by is looking.
    Bees are real heavy & the next weeks forecast does not look to be worth a flip for feeding bees!

I'm not in the same league with you guy's (only 60 hives) but was wondering if you mix Honey B Healthy in the HFCS will it keep it from granulating as fast. Jack

you need to add 10% water to it to stop it from granulating. that is if it is hfcs 55. But the lemongrass oil in hbh helps stop it from forming mold if to much water is added.

Quote Originally Posted by rainesridgefarm View Post
    you need to add 10% water to it to stop it from granulating. that is if it is hfcs 55. But the lemongrass oil in hbh helps stop it from forming mold if to much water is added.

I get my HFCS from a club member (in 5gal. buckets), he told me it is 81%, I pour in 1gal. of water (using 2 buckets) that i think makes it about 2 to 1 and i add 1tbls. HBH per gal. What's your take on this, to much or not enough. Thanks in advance. Jack

I think a 10% dilution to hold it from crystalizing is good. For feeding in the spring if you want to water it down more that is O.K. but for fall feeding 10% is perfect so they have little work to dry it down to store.

Quote Originally Posted by rainesridgefarm View Post
    I think a 10% dilution to hold it from crystalizing is good. For feeding in the spring if you want to water it down more that is O.K. but for fall feeding 10% is perfect so they have little work to dry it down to store.
    A 77% thick 50/50 is much better, type 42 / surcrose.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Thanks for the info. I hear so much talk about the good and bad things of HFCS that i didn't know whether to use it or not. I used it a few years ago (straight 81%) The next spring it was granulated in the frames what was left. I'm paying $13.25 for a five gal. bucket ( it makes 6 gal.), but of course i'm buying the bucket to. Thanks again. Jack

Thanks for all the comments, I am for sure now. The guy from the candy company never did get back with me ,as he said he would . I am now trying to buy sugar from a sugar refiney within a 100 miles of my house. However they say I need to go through the corperate office in Texas. I just wanted the spilled dirty sugar off the floor .

Anyone know of a HFCS supplier in the Eastern South Dakota area where I could buy it on a small scale, in 5 gal buckets, or 30/55 gal drums? thanks.

Sdracer,

Check with some bigger beeks in your area that order by the truck load. They are usually willing to sell by the barrel to other local beeks. I know around here that's how it works.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12